Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ? >

Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Notices

Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Old 12-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things I have to have:

1) Bathroom- you got covered (definitely a shower)

2) If you don't need the full height of the garage in an area I would build a loft area to store stuff in that you don't use often. otherwise I always end up with clutter everywhere.

3) A Kegerator is a MUST

4) An ice machine would be good too
Old 12-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

That's a big door. You need to figure out what you want to do about lighting in the door area. If you put your lights above the door track, then when it is open, the door will block the light. I have seen guys attach the door tracks all the way up as far as they will go, then they put a couple of 8' flourescents crosswise hung from the track brackets. You only gotta make a custom opener link to keep it tucked up high so you can keep the lights high. Other option is a side mounted opener that spins the cable pulleys (commercial style).

I use quad outlet boxes everywhere. It's dirt cheap to add them on the front end. At my factory, we ran quad boxes, and had each duplex outlet on a different circuit (not each outlet in the shop, but in one quad box, we had one pair on A and one pair on B).

I like copper for air lines. It's WAY more durable than plastic if you plan to run 150psi, and just as fast and easy to join (iron is a pain with all the cutting and threading).

Add two floor drains. If you don't want to slope the floor much towards the drains, then make the floor flat, but the drains are a lifesaver.

Run water to both ends of the bldg. Not just where the bath is.

At least two strong overhead lifting points where you can attach a hoist. Gotta engineer that in now, not later.

Then all I can think to add would be
gas-fired pizza oven.
dance floor with big pole to the ceiling.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned before, size does matter!
Mine is 60x80. I built mine to house a race transport truck (semi truck with 48' trailer 13'6" tall), so one side of my shop has doors (12x14') on each end to drive through withthe semi. I have on other door that is 20'x14' wide.
It great, but it kind of limits your options as far as storage goes, unless you don't want to open the door.

It is metal beam clear-span construction, built with a 100+ mph wind load rating (actually necessary out here in Western Ks.)
I would NEVER have a beam in the middle of the shop! You will be amazed how many times it will be in the way.
I have radiant heat (would do floor heat next time) and water, electrical, and air outlets on every beam in the center of the outside walls (3 on each wall, 20' spacing).
I aslo have additional outlets on the wall with benches. I built a 15'x15' room in the far corner that is split in the middle to house a toilet, shop sink, etc. , and the other side houses the air compressor.
I haven't finished it yet, but I plan on insulating the interior wall of the room and plumbing the air intake of the compressor thru the exterior wall to reduce noise (you can't believe how much that helps!).
I used double 2x10's in the roof of the building to store anything necessary (including motors) above the room.
Haven't bilt the electric hoist yet, but that is easy with metal beams.
I'll take some pics sometime and post them.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

I will be building a 30'x50' building this spring. I am keeping track of the great suggestions.

I already planned to put doors on both ends so I can just pull right through with the boat. I'm also adding full bath with a door facing the pool. I definitely will be putting an auto-recoil carwash type hose overhead to wash the whole rig. Planning for 3-4 center floor drains.

I'll post as we build.

Greg
Old 12-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go taller than 10' on the eves. The taller you go the cooler the show will be in the summer. My dad's construction company erects buildings but on a much large scale. And as far as roof vents. If you can leave them out of the picture. The always leak and don't provide much of a benefit. I know there is probably someone here that will argue with that, but I have ran crews and put up about 10 buildings over 7000 sqft. And too many smaller ones to count. If I were to build one for myself, which I have, and I didn't alread have the materials I would buy a whirlwind kit. And if I didn't know what I was doing I would hire an erector to come out and put it up. Their are a lot of other kits around too, but we pretty much use whirlwind because they haven't given us any trouble.

If you have any specific questions just write me at
[email protected]
or write them here...... I'll try to help ya out.
Ernie
Old 12-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Registered

Floor drains is a good suggestion...I wish I had put them in mine. All the other suggestions are good as well.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go. No it isn't mine......I wish.
Attached Thumbnails Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?-garage1125dd.jpg  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CASH BAR
I will be building a 30'x50' building this spring. I am keeping track of the great suggestions.

I already planned to put doors on both ends so I can just pull right through with the boat. I'm also adding full bath with a door facing the pool. I definitely will be putting an auto-recoil carwash type hose overhead to wash the whole rig. Planning for 3-4 center floor drains.

I'll post as we build.

Greg
Greg,

Where did ya buy, that will let ya put that big of a building up???? Damn Dude, thats like the size of my lot here in Boca!!!!! Sounds like you are up in "WEST" West palm Beach, the "acreage" area maybe??????? I have friends that built up there last year, beutiful place, as long as you dont have to commute too far. Here is my storage area!!!!! Dont laugh too hard, the Van was left over from the divorce, gots me a Z-71 now!!!!!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?-03030023-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Registered

As a few have stated go with 16 foot ceilings, you will be glad you did when it come to pulling the motors in the boat. Also a cool idea is to do the walls and ceiling in white tin, like what you would use out side walls of a poleshed. This looks awesome and is about the easiest to clean, and dont have to worry if the walls get wet while washing. I would also use alot of insulation. even though you are in Florida you will want this so that your ac unit that you put in does not have to run all of the time. There is nothing better then ac in really cool garage or shed. Next look at painting the floor. there are alot of cool colored floor paints out there. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Registered

Electric was my biggest concern,
think where your going to want 220 for welders, compressor ect.
I also put 110 duplexes in the ceiling just in case and for retractable extension cords.
Lots of lighting, dont hang 1 over a car, hang 2 on either side so you dont get shadows.
Speaker wire, I ran wires from the cabinets (where stereo is) to all four corners (use speaker wire plates)
Air line will be PVC to front and back door and retractable hose reals overhead.
Alarm, I alarmed everything separately this way you can tell if it a false trip by seeing if one or more zones trip.
Garage door openers, run heavy gage wire to switches and infra red eyes' (on new doors, crush sensors) with the electrical.
Drains in floor, need um
Overhead I beam to mount rolling hoist, see if you cant get enough height to pull motors from boat with it on the trailer.
All my storage is either open wire rack or closed cabinets. As many things as possible on the open racks are in plastic bins, the idea was to be able to clean with a leaf blower.
I also built a lean-two type shed outside to store things like racks and shovels that never look organized.
The topper is a nice epoxy floor and some race banners.

Quick Reply: Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.