Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65343-buiding-shop-personal-use-ideas.html)

klaw 12-04-2003 02:03 PM

floor heat

Tantrum 12-04-2003 02:09 PM

One more biggie
DSL or cable modem so you can surf OSO.
I was thinking of this the other night, Flat panel screen mounted to the wall and CPU under counter. Also might be helpful for ordering parts online while you are thinking....I wish I had a...

SummerObsession 12-04-2003 02:19 PM

These are good. I did build mine on a 24" stemwall for ease of washing.
The south half of my floor is sloped toward a 2'x2' drain pit, while the North half was laser level flat for setting up race cars.;)

The flat half is defintely harder to clean, but it has come in very handy for assembling, framing, etc.
I used a white epoxy paint with a clear coat. Also painted a coo blue and red 12'x4' NHRA logo in the middle.
Turned out pretty slick, literally.:p

jafo 12-04-2003 03:34 PM

Don't forget the skylights- I have four, (2 each side) in the roof of my 30x40. Never need the lights on except for the gloomiest of days.

Johno 12-04-2003 04:07 PM

Hey Wardey

If you need any help with the electrical I am licensed Electrcial contractor in your area. Maybe I can help if you need it. I will be headed out of the country for 2 weeks & get back just before xmas. I can also help with Gen. contractor & permitting.
Don't forget Cuda is a tiling contractor...you have friends you not used yet:D :D
Later John

JPD Motorsports 12-04-2003 06:12 PM

I'm in the process of building mine right now. it is a 30x70x15. 3 garage doors off centered on the 30 walls with a garage door on the 70 wall. Also 2 windows on the 70 wall and an entry door seperate on the same 70 wall. I did a 6" concrete floor 3500' heavy fiber mesh with the wire and pins in the concrete. did a wanes coat on the exterior to break it up in the colors. I would also recommend an oversized footing so that you can have a brick ledge or stone ledge fo rthat fact so if you want to change the metal out to brick its there. floor drains and an xtra pad off the back side to clean all the nasty stuff with and plumb the whole thing with water electric and air both inside and along the outer edges so you can anything you want. Also a lift beem is a good idea as well.

East Coast B 12-04-2003 06:56 PM

What are you planning on putting in this garage? That will answer a lot of questions as too what you really need... If your going to put a boat in there, 30' deep isn't going to get you anything past a 26' boat on a trailer.. And extra height won't buy you anything either if your not going to a bigger boat at some future point or not using it for a boat at all...

When doing the electric, whenever you say "I don't need anything there" put it there!!! It's easier to not use it than to rewire it later.... specially when the box, outlet and little wire costs just cents to do up front.

My garage is stick frame 34' deep and I should have built it 60' deep. I have some of the walls insulated, but built shelves inbetween the studs in other areas for storage of oil, antifreeze and many other small items. Each shelf is strategically sized for specific items.

I also put a 10 pitch roof on which gives me major storage via a permanent staircase. I used storage trusses to build the roof, love all the storage space which is very easily accessible.

AGain, let us know what your planning on storing in there and that will narrow a lot of the ideas being thrown around. Think you'll get some great insight...

Another item, if you garage doors will be getting hit with rain, notch the concreet 1/2" so the door sets a little lower than your garage floor, it will keep water from backing into your garage... this may not be an issue for you...

Instead of a regular man door near my workbench area, I put in a double door set just in case I needed to get anything wider than 36" through. Basically saves me from having to move any vehicles around to get stuff in and out.....

getreal 12-04-2003 07:31 PM

If you’re married you better put in a place for a bed.

When the wife gets pissed at you for spending too much time there your covered (dog house).

Built it bigger than you need (your friends will have a place for there stuff). Trust me, it WILL happen.

open87 12-04-2003 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got home late but this is how my project stands as of today. gutters done tomorrow ,doors monday or tuesday. doesn't matter where you live , put in insulation. skylights, don't like them . in the summer that sun comes right through. i can always add on to the front if needed but 40 deep is good for me. will mount 24 8 ft flourescent lights and split them into 4 sections on the switches. a/c will go in come spring time plus all the other amenities. then i can get back to completing my restoration on the cig:eureka: :D :D

Steve 1 12-04-2003 10:02 PM

Dave lots of E-Bay !