Notices

Dont Buy A Dell Computer!

Old 12-05-2003, 01:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in this industry for the last 20 years, I just wanted to add some information to this thread that may make you think twice about the next computer purchase. There are (3) top players in the PC game today. Dell, Gateway, and Compaq. Let's take a look at the background. Gateway and Dell started out by building computers in their back yard in the hay day when you could actually make a buck on selling hardware. They made a killing during the 80's and 90's when everyone had to have a PC. But that's all they did - build computers. In the 2000 era, the bottom fell out of the margin on hardware - so these two had to cut costs in other areas. Compaq, on the other hand was built from the merger of the second largest computer company in the world at one time with the best support network on earth (Digital Equipment), and then aquired the best printer company in the world (HP). They are a huge player in the industry that understands customer service and the delivery of a superior product, while still offering an affordable product. A Compaq will cost you a little more, but I think we all know the old saying "You get what you pay for". If you want to save a hunderd bucks or so, buy the Dell, or even the Gateway. If you want the best hardware, and the best support in the business based on years of doing it, buy a Compaq. Sorry for the wind, but I could not use less words to make the point.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

I have two Dell's here at work (am typing this on a Latitude laptop) and two HP's at home (mine and my daughters). I've had no problems with any of them. My Sony Viao laptop on the other hand died in just under 2 years, first the CD writer (and it was a weird one that we never could find a replacement for), then the modem. After that we threw it out. My wife's work laptop is also a Sony, and has been back to them for new drives etc more times than I can count.

-Greg
Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack this thread, but here is a list of some other anti gun companies, actors, and big mouths" http://secondamendmentstuff.com/antigun_org.htm
Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally posted by OshkoshThunder
Being in this industry for the last 20 years, I just wanted to add some information to this thread that may make you think twice about the next computer purchase. There are (3) top players in the PC game today. Dell, Gateway, and Compaq. Let's take a look at the background. Gateway and Dell started out by building computers in their back yard in the hay day when you could actually make a buck on selling hardware. They made a killing during the 80's and 90's when everyone had to have a PC. But that's all they did - build computers. In the 2000 era, the bottom fell out of the margin on hardware - so these two had to cut costs in other areas. Compaq, on the other hand was built from the merger of the second largest computer company in the world at one time with the best support network on earth (Digital Equipment), and then aquired the best printer company in the world (HP). They are a huge player in the industry that understands customer service and the delivery of a superior product, while still offering an affordable product. A Compaq will cost you a little more, but I think we all know the old saying "You get what you pay for". If you want to save a hunderd bucks or so, buy the Dell, or even the Gateway. If you want the best hardware, and the best support in the business based on years of doing it, buy a Compaq. Sorry for the wind, but I could not use less words to make the point.
I would say 4,, you forgot IBM ??
Old 12-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered

...and I'm not seeing Dell on the list PorsheSpeed
Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 AM
WickedWon

Default Done With Dell

No more Dells for me, any problem is a nightmare, get all my stuff built locally, my laptop is Sony, so far so good.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Registered

I have had very good luck with my laptop from here.

http://www.internetishop.com/

I never had 1 single problem and it is the best performing laptop I have ever used.

Just my 2 cents worth
Roby
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Registered

That paticular list is not real up to date, but was the one I had floating around.
Google them up and you wll find references to their policy.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:19 AM
mlitefan

I have worked for Dell for 8 years and I have never heard one single "anti gun" message internally or externally.

There are signs on the doors in Round Rock prohibiting anyone entering the buildings with weapons but I would hardly consider that ant gun.

Also, with all due respect, on the long winded Compaq post, Dell has been kicking Compaq, now HPQ's ass for the last few years. Dell didn't get to the number one spot by building crap. Compaq squandered their Digital acquisition and the merger with HP has been less than stellar.

If you are in the market for a computer, do yourself a favor and look at independant comparisons that take everything from quality to support into account.

Dell has lead the pack in customer satisfaction for the last 3 or 4 years.

The anti gun comment is puzzling at best.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

Last edited by mlitefan; 01-17-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mlitefan
I have worked for Dell for 8 years and I have never heard one single "anti gun" message internally or externally.

There are signs on the doors in Round Rock prohibiting anyone entering the buildings with weapons but I would hardly consider that ant gun.

Also, with all due respect, on the long winded Compaq post, Dell has been kicking Compaq, now HPQ's ass for the last few years. Dell didn't get to the number one spot by building crap. Compaq squandered their Digital acquisition and the merger with HP has been less than stellar.

If you are in the market for a computer, do yourself a favor and look at independant comparisons that take everything from quality to support into account.

Dell has lead the pack in customer satisfaction for the last 3 or 4 years.

The anti gun comment is puzzling at best.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

not in my book

Quick Reply: Dont Buy A Dell Computer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.