Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ? >

Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Notices

Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

I am building a personal shop and am looking for ideas and should have's to those who have done the same. The size needs to stay at 30' Deep by 40' Wide. It will have 10' ceilings with a 16' Roll Up door. I will have a 8'x8' Bathroom including shower. Any imput? Thanks, Dave
Old 12-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah....build it bigger then what you think you need, then ad another 2,000 sq ft.

Buck
Old 12-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not put to much electric capacity in there. Make sure you have a plug at leaste every 6 feet (code is 8) Make sure you have plenty of circuits also. Do not just run all the plugs on one circuit. I ussually in a shop will run no more then 4 plugs on one 20 amp breaker. Run 12 ga wire also, it does not add much at all to the cost but will allow you to run 20 amp plugs and breakers if you need. I also like pull downs in the middle of the shop and over any work areas so that you can be on the boat and not have wires draped all over the side and what not. Use good ones of those as well (I paid 150 bucks each for mine that are rated for 20 amps).

Do some research on how to properly rout your air also. You need to make traps and use cast pipe. The in thing to do now seems to be to make the air lines with PVC. That is the easiest way but if you want to do it correctly then use cast as it is going to cool the air better. A radiator in your air system is a VERY good thing to have and you can find what they are sapposed to look like on the web or I can explain it for you if you can not.

Lighting LOTS OF IT nuff said

Good luck

Jon
Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Registered

Well my first suggestion was a bathroom, but you have got that one covered. My next would have been insulation, but you live in FLA.

So now all I could suggest is an office and a couch 'cause you never know when you might need that
Plus going bigger will never hurt!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I couild have the shop I wanted.........
It would have:
a lathe
Bridgeport mill
surface grinder
drill press
hydraulic press
cutoff saw
ac/dc welder
and plenty of bench space.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'd put in a higher ceiling than 10'.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

i am having one installed 30x40. actually i did the framing but had to hire pro's to insulate and sheet. i will post pics when i get home. center is 12 high walls 10. they showed up this morning with the boom truck to put the pack of sheets up on the roof. should be completed today. i'm getting a boner it is costly though, 37 yards concrete , labor 5200.00 . building kit itself was 8500.00 included insulation and gutter package. labor to finish as mentioned above 3 g's
doors 4 12w x 10 h from overhead door co. 2700. installed. hopefully i will have the lights in next weekend and epoxy the floor. ordering industrial shelving monday to have storage and a work table. and then roll in that killer stainless tool box i got monday. then i will make the trip and go get my cig!!! then it's party time. i will have glass out the azz
Old 12-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default like this?

Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

mine is 60 x 60 with a 16' ceiling. I'd put in plenty of lighting and as was previously mentioned, plenty of electrical. Might want to think about running an air line around the perimeter with connections spaced every so often as well. I'd mention bathroom but you've got that covered already. Even though your in FL have you thought about any heating?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

My shop has numerous I- BEAMS in the ceiling. You'll appreciate the ability to pick up just about anything. I'd highly reccomend doing this in your new shop. Other things to think about:

Do you want the air compressor outside or in?

Pre wire for some tunes?

Security system ?

That's Warren w/ High Priority in the picture.

Good luck Dave - BH
Attached Thumbnails Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?-mvc-006s.jpg  

Last edited by THEJOKER; 12-04-2003 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Buiding a Shop for Personal Use - Ideas ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.