Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Coolest driveway?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65478-ot-coolest-driveway.html)

Reckless32 12-05-2003 05:07 PM

OT: Coolest driveway?...

Over the next few months I'm going to have this large (meaning wide) driveway poured along with a footer next to the house for the boat (when it's not on the lift) and I'm kicking around some ideas whether it be patterns in the cement itself or some kind of fan or other angles with the expansion joints. Anyone do anything creative with theirs?

Madcow 12-05-2003 05:14 PM

I got SOOOO lucky last week. I was having a driveway poured, and the concrete company flaked out on the contractor, so he sais to me "How about if I give you a paver driveway for the same price?" I'll post pic's tomorow.

HyperBaja 12-05-2003 06:01 PM

I would never be able to guess it is winter. Subway, Driveways and all of the rumors going around!!!

Oh, and ours is concrete, pretty nifty stuff. If you run really fast and try to slide on your belly on it, it will turn your stomach red. Pretty cool stuff!

mirageman 12-05-2003 06:11 PM

The patterned/colored driveways are a nice touch. If you had a little extra cash you could add the fiber optic lighting that is both fixed in color or rotates thru a pallate of colors. NNNIIICCCCEEEEEE.....

Bad Girl 12-05-2003 07:37 PM

We had a front porch stamped with a pattern and stained a brick red. We absolutely loved it - at first. Then we figured out that it holds dirt and always looks dirty. Difficult to keep clean. Always have to hose it down and scrub with a brush to get the dirt out of the pattern. My father had a similar experience with stamped, stained concrete.

Anyone else have this experience?

puder 12-05-2003 07:54 PM

a client of mine has a heated driveway cus he doesn't like to shovel snow in the winter.........

traviss 12-05-2003 08:44 PM

its not cement :mad: Its concrete :D :D

Cement is to concrete like flour is to bread ;)

We normally just saw cut every 10' x 10' squares, You might be able to get them to saw cut it a different angles to fit your likings. You should keep the saw cuts/expansion joints square, if they tend to go into diffreent angle cuts, you might end up with a few cuts with points which you do not want, points break off no matter where they are. Have them pour it 6" thick and also put alot of rerod in it, don't use rolled wire, so there will no chance of breaking or shifting. Also you could use a mix that is stronger, like driveways are 3500 psi concrete, you could step up to 4500-5000 psi concrete, in the higher psi mix's, there is just more cement in the mix. It would be neat for a color/stamp deal, but that sorta deal is 3-4 times more $ then normal concrete.

If it is outside, it will mostly be a broomed finish unless you don't prefer that. I think being around your boat and maybe water/washing the boat, if it does not have a broom finish it will probably be slippery.

Reckless32 12-06-2003 02:23 AM

I'm thinkin' more about the angled expansion design than anything else. The fact that patterned grooves being hard to keep clean makes sense, and I don't want to make more work for myself trying to keep it looking tip-top.
Our winter temps around here for the most part are in the mid 30's occasionally spiking into the upper 20's for short periods. I consider this a moderate winter climate so I don't think I have to be so concerned about winter freeze cracks of any kind. I want to do something other than conventional squares but not yet so sharp as to be weak on the points. Just different because the drive will be large. Just wandering if anyone else tackled this and their opinions before the piggy bank gets emptied...

BTW, I'm looking at the rough surface versus the smooth finish....

Anybody got any pics of theirs?...

TEAMBAJA 12-06-2003 06:09 AM

Originally posted by puder
a client of mine has a heated driveway cus he doesn't like to shovel snow in the winter.........
What the hell is a heated driveway?

ofshore 12-06-2003 06:54 AM

They heat driveways by circulating hot water through pipes buried in the concrete just like you would through a pole barn or basement floor. I know a plumber who puts in quite a few heated driveways and side walks, it beats shoveling snow but (for me anyway) it would be a little hard to justify the cost.