Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Automatic Fire Extinguishers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65632-automatic-fire-extinguishers.html)

Audiofn 12-07-2003 09:08 PM

Automatic Fire Extinguishers

In my redue of the boat I plan on adding halon fire extinguishers into the engine bay. I want Halon as it is the cleanest if there ever is a fire. I have been checking around and I know that you can still get Halon fire extinguishers but also noticed a new "Halon Alternative" fire extinguisher by Fireboy and a few others. Anyone know anything about how well this stuff works?

Jon

jafo 12-07-2003 09:17 PM

Jon- unfortunately not as well as Halon. You can still buy the real thing both 1211 and 1311. It is being recycled, just like Freon R-12 is. It just costs considerably more than it used to.
I would only trust Halon myself- we are still using it exclusively on the jets, but we are also still using a lot of R12 too- so far we have been exempt in having to change it out.
Check with your local fire extinguishing gurus- they can hook you up with hand-helds, and can probably recharge/recertify an engine compt. auto setup for you as well. Maybe you can find one used or as a takeout from a damaged boat?

Audiofn 12-07-2003 09:46 PM

Ya I have been looking for them but so far no luck

Jon

Audiofn 12-07-2003 09:46 PM

So you do not think that they other stuff is ok for a boat? Can it be any worse then a ABC extinguisher?

Jon

jafo 12-07-2003 09:54 PM

It's OK, and completely USCG approved. It just isn't as aggressive an extinguishing agent. The big reason for all of this was EPA- environmentally friendly.
I would encourage you to buy a larger unit than you would have if it were Halon. I still carry a hand-held Halon in the truck and boat, and encourage anyone else to do the same, even though they cost more. They just plain work better, and the cleanup is a helluva lot less.
Jim

Audiofn 12-07-2003 10:39 PM

So with the new stuff you still have clean up?

Jon

R Addiction 12-07-2003 10:46 PM

Jon , You had me worried with this post....With the luck you've been having all you need would be a fire!! Glad it was a tech question!!!:D

Cord 12-08-2003 08:15 AM

Why not Co2?

mopower 12-08-2003 08:24 AM

Yeah, C02 I was thinking the same thing. No extinguisher clean up just fire debris.

Cord 12-08-2003 08:47 AM

I used to carry a 5lb Co2 extinguisher. The plan was to always use it so I wouldn't have to clean up a mess (and gaud, do the dry chem extinguishers make a mess). The problem was that it wasn't CG approved. Now I have 2 (don't ask me why I need 2) 2.5lb cheapie throw away dry chem extinguishers. My new plan is to throw these into the fire, get on the radio, and jump overboard. :rolleyes: