Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shocks for my PSD F 250..But for Michigan roads (SOFT Shocks) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65697-shocks-my-psd-f-250-but-michigan-roads-soft-shocks.html)

powerqrudy 12-08-2003 03:08 PM

Shocks for my PSD F 250..But for Michigan roads (SOFT Shocks)

ok I have about 101,000 on my 4x4 PSD short box. I need some new shocks. But I drive 200 miles a day and the need to be softer I love Bilsteins but a little rought for a F 250... I need some advice thanks guys...RUDY

Sydwayz 12-08-2003 03:11 PM

Always been told only go Edlebrock adjustables when going for replacement.

MitchStellin 12-08-2003 04:16 PM

No to the edlerocks, go to the dieselstop.com and they will tell you the same. The Rancho 9000 adj is the way to go. You have multiple settings and can go from girly to launch with the twist of a dial or go big and get the remote set up. The edys are good but there have been complaints on the board. All say Bilstein or Rancho:D

Tim G. 12-08-2003 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a lot of different shocks, but the honest truth is the Rancho RS5000s seem to be the best of everything and don't cost much.
My current 1 ton dually is worlds better after getting a set of those RS5000s.

MitchStellin 12-08-2003 04:51 PM

The only problem with the 5000 is that it is a hydralic shock and not gas charged. For a 1 ton that is good but for ride quality of the gas charged will be easier on the butt. I had the 5000s and had to change them because my ride went away. That was on a 1/2 ton dodge which has very soft springs so the 5000s were too much.

MnFastBoat 12-08-2003 04:58 PM

Originally posted by MitchStellin
The only problem with the 5000 is that it is a hydralic shock and not gas charged. For a 1 ton that is good but for ride quality of the gas charged will be easier on the butt. I had the 5000s and had to change them because my ride went away. That was on a 1/2 ton dodge which has very soft springs so the 5000s were too much.

Mitch, what did you put on the Dodge?
I have a '98 that is in need of new ones.
Was thinking about a set of air bags in the back to compliment the shocks due to the soft spring action.
I like the ride, but do not like the side to side roll.
Do not want a stiff harsh ride, but one that is not too soft either for unsafe towing

Mr. Demeanor 12-08-2003 10:04 PM

The shocks arent really going to stop the rough ride of a 3/4 ton truck with stiff springs. I had a completely blown set of shocks on my PSD and could hardly tell except a little extra bounce. I put the Edelbrocks on and one blew (front) within about 5,000 miles. They replaced it but that shouldnt happen. I didnt hit any pothole or anything like that.

MitchStellin 12-08-2003 10:10 PM

I put sears shocks on. I forget the brand but they were gas charged and not too expensive. They were great and made the ride better. I had air bags in the back and they are a must. I pulled a 10000 lb boat and it didn't sag an inch. I ran 80 psi when I towed. They are a must for the soft back on the dodges. I think they were sensatrack or something. I installed them myself and I think right now they will install them for free.

velocity260 12-09-2003 08:43 PM

rudedog buy a new truck:) you would look good in a new chevy.

Audiofn 12-09-2003 08:49 PM

There is only one shock for me. Bilsteins!!!! I was taking a set out of a car in the junk yard and broke them. My bro said that sucks lets take off and I was like no way they have a life time warrantee. I took them out the rest of the way and they replaced them no questions asked!!!! These were shocks that at the time were over 15 years old. I was PUMPED. They actualy apologized to me for not having the same shock and gave me one that was close but required a mod to the car. So their life time warrantee unlike all the others from my experience does work.

Jon