Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How to "lighten" the load? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65783-how-lighten-load.html)

Cord 12-10-2003 09:09 AM

There should be 100lbs or so in going from a plywood interior to aluminum. Will 100lbs even make a noticable difference to a 30' sonic?

Chris288 12-10-2003 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Cord
. Will 100lbs even make a noticable difference to a 30' sonic?
Possibly 1 mph...

Pure Energy 12-10-2003 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Cord
There should be 100lbs or so in going from a plywood interior to aluminum.

Will 100lbs even make a noticable difference to a 30' sonic?

1. Since I have no way to weigh the hatch or seat base, nor do I know how much the aluminum weighs, I though I would ask figuring someone might have some info.

2. I'll ask the questions! :D

Tantrum 12-10-2003 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Dueclaws

Also: no stereo, speakers, etc.

I gotta say ditch the speakers. Not only will you shead some weight but your bolsters will be more functional ;)

MitchStellin 12-10-2003 09:34 AM

One thing to be careful of is where you remove the weight. The stern is ok but stay away from the bow....you need weight there. The aluminium is a good idea but be careful. That stuff will move a little and chaf. How to attach it is another worry, it needs to flex a little or it will start crazing the gel. These items will save weight, that is for sure, but will it save enough to make it worth it. I removed the entire cabin and made bench seats in my Donzi, I bet I lost 6-700 pounds. This gave me about 5 mph with new engines (stock rebuild) and gave me tons of room below. I would fill the tank based on what the seas were like. I would fill it when the waves were big for weight and keep it low when I wanted speed. At 200 gallons @ about 5lbs per gallon this is a good amount of weight. If you are going 90 now I would save up and gain HP, not loose weight.

Tantrum 12-10-2003 09:42 AM

Re: How to "lighten" the load?

Originally posted by Pure Energy
Me losing weight is not an option!:D

How bout putting Pauly K on a diet? :D

Pure Energy 12-10-2003 11:15 AM

Re: Re: How to "lighten" the load?

Originally posted by Tantrum
How bout putting Pauly K on a diet? :D
I thought about pouring ketchup on a few areas I want to shave some weight from. Once he crapped it out I'll be good to go!!:D

lucy 12-10-2003 05:05 PM

fill the cabin with helium!!!!!!!!!!

LapseofReason 12-10-2003 07:23 PM

Is the bottom blueprinted? do you have the best props for the boat. If you have big power already get those two things done and let it eat. I wouldn't't make the boat not as nice to be on just for 1-3 mph.

I want to go 120 and still have a big cabin with stand up head, That is why I am going to sell a perfectly good 2000 42 Sonic that is turn key and never lets me down. For a OL that cost 2-3 times as much that will blow up sooner or later piss me off and make me mad. Sounds real smart, I can't figure me out.

Wildfire 12-10-2003 08:15 PM

Keep us posted on how the aluminum seats and deck go. I plan to do the same with my Magnum when the time comes.