Originally posted by Gordo
Ok Mr. Luhrs, Exactly WHAT has Mercury Racing done FOR the racers?
Umm let's see................
1. Provided a support truck with spare parts and helpful technicians at races for decades.
2. Designed and built the drive systems and engine packages that propel the boats. These motors replaced the "garage mechanic specials" that broke down all over the race course....for decades. How would racing be without #6 drives....or (as bad as they might be) Bravo drives?
3. Provided cooperative advertizing for performance boat manufacturers over the years, allowing them to better market their products and upgrade their image, while adding to the factory subsidies of racers.
4. Kept Fountain Powerboats alive, thereby letting Reggie piss even more money away on race sponsorship and racer assistance..
5. Provided Lake X, the finest performance rigging and testing facility in the World.....
6. Funded round the clock engineering in fresh and salt water environments which enabled many of the significant developments in marine propulsion over the past 50 years....much of which debuted on the race course.
7. Created most of the significant prop advancements of the past 50 years....... At one time all of the inboard and outboard classes of APBA relied on Mercury propellers.... and, by the way, Bobby Hering is an ex-Mercury employee.
8. Carl Kiekhaefer's factory teams put offshore racing on the map back in the early days, by providing the lion's share of the boats in the fleet.
9. Co-sponsored the TV programs for well over 10 years.
10. Marketed racing through their dealer outlets, catalogues, and press releases for decades.
11. Provided basically free advice to generations of new racers.
12. Provided various contingency purses for many years.
Gordo: The fact the Mercury has not automatically agreed to the demands of the LLC, does not mean that they are not racer friendly......... and the fact that GMC gives a discount on engines and passes out a few "official vehicles" does not mean that they are.