Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   snowmobile'n in New Hampshire (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65905-snowmobilen-new-hampshire.html)

glassdave 12-10-2003 01:51 PM

snowmobile'n in New Hampshire

i'm head'n out to boston for new years and while im there myself and a couple of friends are heading up to North Conway, NH to do some sled'n. we'll be up there dec. 28-30 and getting the sleds from these guys sled rental anybody got any tips for a first timer? i am familiar with the severe cold out east, i ski and climb rock and ice in the Presedential range there. :D . i have been on a sled once or twice in my life and these guys rent sleds for unguided touring (thats trouble :rolleyes: :D). i know this is a long shot but if anybody is in the area we will be drinking nightly at the Red Parka Pub in N. Conway. :cool: :D :cool: :D

by the way . . is there any snow up that way. Biggus? AudioFn? how bout a weather report :D :D

glassdave 12-10-2003 06:32 PM

anybody??? . . . . . .Beuler?? . . . . . anybody?? :D :D

puder 12-10-2003 07:13 PM

perhaps. lemme see if i can gather an NY possee :D

DoTheMath 12-10-2003 09:33 PM

glassdave, you'll have some snow up there for sure. We have a place on lake Winni, and I'm about 30 min. south of N. Conway and I heard we got about 20" from this last storm. It has been cold, so I'm sure there will be plenty more to come in the next couple of weeks.

Try Bellini's if you want to go out for some good Italian grub!

http://www.bellinis.com/newwelcome.html

Enjoy!

glassdave 12-10-2003 10:49 PM

thanks guys, cant wait to get out there. i love that area :cool: :cool: :cool: . i have been in mountains all over the world. alps, rockies, sierra's, teton's and i think i like the white mountains the best. just somthing about that area. sounds like they have enough snow for sled'n :D

do the math- i will hafta check that place out, always up for good italian food. lots of good restraunts in that area. i see your in boston as well. i have been going out east for the past 8 or 9 years for a week over new years. i stay in framingham with some friend and we always try and head up north to ski or whatever. would like to move out that way someday but business and family keep me here :cool: :cool:

DoTheMath 12-11-2003 08:34 AM

gd~ I'm about 1/2 way between Boston and Framingham, so not too far from there. And I have often thought of trying out another part of the country to take up residence in, but family and (formerly) a family business keep me here. Not to mention the lake, it reminds why I love this area so much. Now, if we could figure a way to get the cost of living down to a reasonable level around here, it would be paradise!

Downtown42 12-11-2003 06:37 PM

Be careful and don't worry about someone behind you. They are fun and wicked.

Luxy60 12-11-2003 07:13 PM

I'm very familar with this area. That rental shop is just pass Bartlett Village on 302. Don't get too excited by the picture on the web site though. From what I remember they rent basic yellow utility skidoo's (440cc) but maybe they have upgraded their inventory. The trail system there is isolated to the immediate area, Bear Notch road and doesn't connect with the interstate trail system but for a day ride that's not a real problem. Make your way over to Bear Notch road for some nice scenic views of Mt. Washington. You can also open it up on Bear Notch if the cover is good/ smooth. The road is about 8 miles long. Also try the Sawyer River Trail. Very nice backwoods trail. The whole loop is 20+ miles. Just watch out for the X-counry skiers and dog sledders!
Margarita Grill is a great little Mexican place across the road from the RP and has excellent Margarita's. The Upcountry Saloon is another good bar with entertainment located on Main st. in N. Conway. Check out Jackson Village off Rte 16 towards Wildcat. Lot's good pubs/ resturants and cross country, if you're into that.

Enjoy your stay! It's a great area.

Luxy

Cessna172 12-11-2003 11:03 PM

Glassdave,
Glad to hear you're coming out. No. Conway has the nightlife and good for a day ride but the best riding begins north of the notches Berlin or Twin Mtn. I'm from Jackson (just north of No. Conway) but live in the south eastern part of the state now. As far as the rental place, I've always owned my own snowmobiles, never rented so I'm not sure of them, but find out what they rent. Try to get at least a 600 liquid cooled engine. Fan cooled engines have much less power but may also be ok for a first time ride.
I firmly agree on Bellini's. I was such a huge customer when I lived up there that I dated the owners daughter a few times. I still make the 1 1/2 hour trip each way sometimes just to get takeout. You won't be sorry.

Have fun, be safe, drink lots.