Notices

Anchoring in rough water

Old 12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fortress holds fine in silt/mud (I've held up to 4 other boats rafted to me), but doesn't work well on sandy bottoms. Thanks for the link re: box anchors, Indy -- I'll look into that. Ditto the comments on the scope.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually my main concern is anchoring in about 3 to 5 feet of water. This is where we just stand around and chat, drink, eat and whatever else. However the water is very rough for a small lake. lots of boat traffic and bulkheading

Roby
Old 12-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

In 3-5 feet of water, sandy bottom, and lots of boat wakes, I simply use a standard danforth anchor. BUT, I have 5' of chain on mine. I also have the anchor rated for the next size up, my boat is 24', and I have the anchor for the next range up from that. In 5 feet I'll be putting out at least 40' of rode, perhaps more if the waves are bigger. We do this A LOT on the shores of Lake Michigan. Perftectly sandy bottom, no rocks, no weeds, no clay. Just pure white sand. My boat NEVER comes loose. It is important that when you put your anchor in, you don't simply "throw" it over board. Lay it into the water and then back down to where you want the boat to end up. This kinda takes 2 people I guess.... one to drive, one to set the anchor. And I do mean "set the anchor." Hold the line parallel to the water while backing down, and just before you get to where you want to end up, neutral the boat and stop it using the anchor. You will know INSTANTLY whether you got a good set or not. If you don't stop, no set! This works every time.

To keep from drifting into other boats, I carry an 8lb navy anchor in a nylon bag with about 40' of line on it. I drop it off the back of the boat, nearly straight down, and I do not drift back and forth.

I've been using this method since my father taught it to me nearly 30 years ago. I like anchoring in sand!!!!

Last edited by Waterfoul; 12-11-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by robyw1
Actually my main concern is anchoring in about 3 to 5 feet of water. This is where we just stand around and chat, drink, eat and whatever else. However the water is very rough for a small lake. lots of boat traffic and bulkheading

Roby
Get a box anchor!! No chain, just throw it in the water and relax. Do a search on the box anchor... I've never heard a negative thing from anyone about them!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I've been told they do not work so well in sandy bottom areas, especially if the waves are bigger. Just what I've been told, never seen anyone use one around here. We all stick with our danfoth's.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by Waterfoul
I've been told they do not work so well in sandy bottom areas, especially if the waves are bigger. Just what I've been told, never seen anyone use one around here. We all stick with our danfoth's.
I've got the smallest one and it holds the Cig. fine (10,000 lbs.). The last time that I used it, we were the only boat anchored and three others were tied up to us. The only place that I've used it is in the sand. (Potomac River)
Old 12-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Like I said, no personal knowledge, just second hand drivvel I guess!!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Eternal Warrior

I've been very pleased with my Fortress. However, I set the anchor exactly like Waterfoul and I've never had a problem on Lake Mich.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Registered

Watch out for sailboat!!!

"Hey! You scratched my anchor!!!"
Old 12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Registered

Enough chain and plenty of scope.

Quick Reply: Anchoring in rough water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.