Notices

APBA elections

Old 12-13-2003, 01:00 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJD, T2x, Chris:

Thanks guys! I only wish I had the qualities you stated. My Dad did, and it's been a goal for me, albeit with detours, for a long time. There's some really fine people running, the most candidates for the Board I can ever remember. No matter who wins, we'll have a better APBA, and maybe, just maybe turn this ship to a proper course. There is alot of good out there, harness it, and we really have something to build upon.

Be well,

Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Cat,

The Llc is a licensee of APBA. They essentially lease the Offshore category from APBA so you would not see their names on a ballot for election of officers unless individuals of the Llc wanted to serve on the overall APBA Board. APBA is composed of several categories, Offshore being one of them. Others include Stock outboard, Mod outboard, Pro Outboard, Inboard, Unlimited Hydroplane, Inboard Endurance, OPC, R/C and others. The APBA Board of Directors sets policy and direction, which is then executed by the various categories. Each category generally has it's own governance as to rules, etc. The Category will have a Chairman elected by the category members, and the Chair then appoints commission members to make up their leadership team. There are variations of this in different categories, but that's pretty much how it works.
Within APBA there are over 100 local clubs, who are the folks that put on the more than 240 races per year. These include local Kiwanis to long time stalwarts like the Southern California Speedboat Club, Great Lakes Offshore Powerboat Racing Association, OPBRA, etc.
There are also race series within APBA that race specific category classes. For instance APR Superleague has been around over 10 years and runs SST 120 tunnel hulls (and other classes) at a set number of races and cities each year. The Champ boat series is another that runs what we might know as Mod U tunnels or "Champ" boats. These classes fall under the OPC category. The promoters of these series ( like local clubs) sanction with APBA to conduct their specific events.
The origins of APBA go back to 1903 and the New York Yacht Club. In fact the general secretary of APBA for almost 20 years was Chapman, he of the Chapman guide to boat handling, etc. In times past, and to this day, a local club would hold one big race ( or more) each year and that race times over a 100 clubs produced the totality of APBA racing.
All this to day, hi Cat, how's things on the left.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:23 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

My vote will go to the person(s) that will:

1) Garauntee there will be at least 6 races in Florida with at least 2 at St Pete.

2) Ensure there will be only ONE WORLDS

3) Ensure at leat 100 boats will race at each venue (not just show up)

4) Ensure that a schedule is provided and that it will not change over the course of the season.

****If that person(s) is not in existance, my vote will go to Steve David

Attached Thumbnails APBA elections-111.jpg  
Old 12-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Steve
I guess I'm one of the LLC members that HQ doesnt know about. I'm voting for you anyway!!!
Good luck, and you have my #, call if I can help.

Dan
Old 12-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally posted by SteveDavid
Cat,

The Llc is a licensee of APBA. They essentially lease the Offshore category from APBA so you would not see their names on a ballot for election of officers unless individuals of the Llc wanted to serve on the overall APBA Board.
Steve,

I believe that in the new By-Laws that anyone that holds a position with a licensee can't hold a BOD seat.
However any APBA member in good standing, in any category can run for office, which means any offshore or unlimited racer, crew or participating member can be elected or appointed to office within APBA.

By the way good luck on the elections.

Matt
Old 12-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Mike A.

Steve,

From what I understand APBA Offshore is reconstituting the Offshore Racing Commission to answer the call of its members for a greater voice. I understand that they will be looking for a volunteer Category Chairman, such as the category used to have in Gene Whipp, to represent the category within APBA and serve as the liaison between the APBA, racers, teams, other organizations, and the Board of APBA Offshore.

As a demonstration of my commitment to unifying the sport and healing the past, I would nominate you for that position and support you in any way I could if you were willing to take that challenge.

Unlike the past you would have some solid business infrastructure behind you and you would not be charged with creating a schedule, developing television, or producing events although you certainly would be included in those decisions. More importantly, the Chairman would be the Ambassador of APBA Offshore Racing and any efforts you made to heal old wounds, repair damaged relationships and help to unify the sport so that it can continue on the road of success, would be supported by everyone.

Anyway, if you are interested let us know and I will get you with the decisionmakers.

Mike A.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

We got your letter

You have our support

Cherie' & Marc

(President/Vice President)
LMORA / Lake Michigan Offshore Racing Association
Old 12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Steve, just tell me one thing. You don't like this Dean character...do you??? Please say no.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Registered

Due to all the "shananigans" pulled by "the other group" in trying to sabotage the Sarasota Offshore Showdown last August, and in the latest episode, getting Sheriff Bill Balkwell to pull all support from PAL for the SOS because of political pressure, (thankfully PAL's Board of Directors overruled Sheriff Balkwell for which he is having one of the world's greatest hissy fits), I would not vote for Kevin Brown for anything. AND I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.....
Old 12-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Mike,

Thank you for your commitment. Together, moving forward we can build on the best of what you and your troops have put together, and make something we can all be proud of. If I'm elected, I'd be pleased to serve in the position you speak of.

Formula Outlaw and Ron, I respect your voices, and believe it is in the richness and diversity of the human fabric that we find our ultimate strength and progress. I choose not to engage in besmirching anyone. My home has as much glass as the next fellows

Steve

Quick Reply: APBA elections

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.