Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What would you do ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66009-what-would-you-do.html)

TopSpin80 12-11-2003 08:16 PM

My dad always said the quickest way to your head is through your a$$. If something like cheating went on he would break out the belt. I'm am the only one of his kids that is worth a crap though. But my parents got divorced when I was in high school, so my younger siblings never got disciplined and now look at the losers. Everyone is different, it was hard to ground me because I spent all my extra time working with dad, how is he gonna ground me from that? I was forced to have A's in school in order to drive. I even rode the buss a few weeks of my senior year in high school. Since she doesn't drive, what is the most important thing in her life right now? And take that away from her until the cheating stops and the grades are adequate.

And if you do go talk to the teacher, which I recommend, do not defend your daughter. My mom defends my brother in every way to the teachers and it just makes her look like an idiot.

Ernie

PAM 12-11-2003 08:42 PM

Tell her how cheating is wrong ,ask her to try to live up to a higher standard, like ,, Bill & Hillary ?

Ron P 12-11-2003 10:52 PM

First let me say, I don't have any kids. So wadda I know?

Hopefully she's not one those snotty kids with green hair and earings in her nose.

I'd ask why she didn't know the answer to the question. Give her a little support and show your on her side. Plus she's a little old to get put over your knee at 15.

Was she looking at someone else's paper or did she have a cheat sheet that she brought with her? Did she know everything else but was unsure about one answer? Get involved. Then offer to open the book with her and show an interest in seeing that she learns the material. You probably won't understand it but give it a try. She'll appreciate the effort even if it's only for an hour.

I'm a big believer in spankings, but I don't think this is one of these times. I don't think a spanking will make her study harder. I'd also ask her what she wants to become in life and then point out why her education will help her to achieve her goals and enjoy the rest of her life.

I should have a kid to see if this crap really works or not.

JPD Motorsports 12-11-2003 11:16 PM

Talk to teacher first.Take the cell phone and house phone away, unplug the inernet from computer. After you know what the problem was with the test and which part that she needed the extra help on, sit down and help her with it, keep the items like a week and no friends as well. Being grounded not only grounds the daughter it grounds the arents as well. An dmake sure the better half also enforces these. Not to harsh its her first time to get caught, save the long talk for later just tell how dissapointed you are at here and cold shoulder her fo rthe time as well.

Smitty 12-12-2003 07:24 AM

Here's the outcome:

No cell phone except during the weekdays so my wife can communicate with her.

No house phone in her room.

No internet/chat for 1 week

Grounded for 1 week

She was caught with the old answers written on your arm trick !!!

We talked about it with her and my wife is calling the teacher today . We reinforced the severity of this and also the need to set priorities and stick to them.

My daughter also stated that 40 people were in the room when she got caught and news of this spread like wildfire in the school since she is so popular. She also stands a chance at being let go from cheerleading and cannot be on the honor roll this year.

She recognizes the magnitude of her mistake, but we felt we needed to also tighten the belt at home as well, and used this event to do so.

Thanks everybody for the ideas and support. It helps to get an idea of what other parents go through !!!

Tim G. 12-12-2003 09:01 AM

Strange. I grew up without a cell phone.
15 and "neeeeeeds" a cell phone.???
I'd pull the cell phone anyway...

Iggy 12-12-2003 09:40 AM

I've been through this with my own daughter, and I believe you handled it right.
It's a good sign she realized the severity of what she did and how it can and will affect her activities.

Good for you, good for her.

JPD Motorsports 12-12-2003 11:06 AM

Good job on the way you handled things. To bad for her she might be off the cheer squad and honors though. May be this will help her think before she trys to do something like this again.

X-Rated30 12-12-2003 11:15 AM

Originally posted by hugetime1
...and she doesn't posses the skills...
Hugetime cheated on spelling tests. Unfortunately, he copied off of Puder.:D

IceAngel 12-12-2003 12:37 PM

It wasnt all that long ago that I was 15 so I know that the cell phone and computer have to GO!!!!!!!

But my mother used to make me sit at the table in the kitchen with her and do homework in the subject that I was having trouble in (even if it was homework that SHE went through the book and picked out for me). So being 15 and having no other distractions other than my mother, whom I didn't want to talk to at 15. I was forced to get good at the subject. I graduated in the top 15% of my class so I guess it worked