Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66031-whats-your-favorite-single-engine-25-28-feet.html)

Indy 12-14-2003 08:41 PM

Cat...you're right, I saw a Shockwave 29 and it looked like one heck of a nice boat, twin scorps in it too!!

JROMY 12-14-2003 09:55 PM

Cat - true - but trouble with Left Coast boats on the East Coast is the resale. I can barely sell my Checkmate and people around here know Checkmate. The next boat I buy may not be the strongest thing ever built, but I'll make damn sure that it has the name association that I can sell it!

THEJOKER 12-14-2003 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JROMY:

I can get you a copy of the onboard video from Daytona and you can see how the boat gobbles up the rough. Also you don't have to break your bank account to have one of my boats. I can build you a 28 Joker hull and deck only , rigged or unrigged , etc. I'm enclosing a picture of the aluminum getting ready to be laminated in the cockpit floor (underside). No wobbly seats and no wooden floors - GUARANTEED - BH

JROMY 12-14-2003 11:56 PM

Brian/Joker - I hate to admit it, but you really have me intrigued at this point. I will be down in Florida in the next couple weeks (Boca). Any chance you have a boat to take a quick spin in? I should be there from around December 29 to January 2. Like I stated somewhat above, I was in a 28 Pantera not too long ago. I was impressed by the construction. No one can argue with that. It did not have lowered foot wells, it had a small cabin, etc. etc. It wasn't the boat to fit my needs. I love the look, I love Pantera's "eyes" but I felt like I was sitting on top of the boat.

THEJOKER 12-15-2003 09:57 AM

JROMY:

Let me get in touch with one of my customers that's in the process of putting around 650 hp in his boat. I'll have The High Priority race boat here in a couple of weeks also . I'll keep you posted - BH

JO - PANTERABOATS 12-15-2003 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of a 28' Pantera "full"cabin.
The cabin consists of a 6 1/2 foot V- Berth and a 7 foot wrap around seating area with storages underneath, porta potti,large closet on the port side as you walk in and optional sink and cooler on the starboard side.There is plenty of room for a large adult to sit with out bumping his head.We finish the cabin in white vinyl with 1/2 in. padding with colored light panels.

We have also lowered the cockpit floor this past year and other subtle changes to the 28' to enhance appearence and performance.

Regards,

JO - Pantera Boats

Chris288 12-15-2003 12:23 PM

Wow,, all this talk about the perfect 28 and I finally got the wife's approval to go bigger and this is the exact size range I will be looking into..

My concerns, I like stand up boats, only because thats what I am famillar with and have come to enjoy, seems I have the same concerns about sitdowns as Jromy, no shock absorbtion, and we have hit waves in 19 and 20 foot boats where my spine did just about pop out of my back, I really like drop out bolsters and never really sit unless long no wake zones.

Pantera and sunsation are tops on my list, but I DO NOT like the feeling of sitting on top of the boat seems Pantera fixed this, but I cannot afford NEW,,,, I have also heard mixed reactions from the sunsation and their bottom design as far as rough water handling and I find their cockpit pretty small. There is no doubt there are some VERY well built 28's out there, props to all you builders on the board,, Joker, Chris, Reindl, jo@Pantera, Dave@sunsation..

I'm thinking were going to have to take our time and see what fits us just right. there is no doubt the 28 foot class is getting very expensive, I priced the 28 active thunder and almost choked.

when you guys figure out the perfect 28 let me know !!, I know, there is no perfect boat, each one is a comprimise and you have to pick the one that suits you best overall,,, in this case it would be a baja 272 or 275 has just about everything I want except the speed and maybe the rough water handling, although my 232 handles GREAT,,, were looking for something a little higher in class than the baja...

My priorities are:

good size cockpit.
excellent rough water handling.
speed should be 70 or better or VERY close.
HP 500 unless it runs 70 w/ 496 HO or 502..
cabins ares pretty standard layout on most of these boats,,, facing lounges and berth for 2..

P.S. w/ all this talk about the bat boats, I too would like to see some more in depth pics..

Reindl Powerboats 12-15-2003 01:35 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty
do you have an overhead view of the cockpit and back seat? pleasure version.

how does insurance compare to other 28 single engine boats?

The insurance is the same as far as I know. I have gotten some people great rates through Progressive, and financing is easy as well. I will look for an overhead view. The sound system is one of the best I have ever heard in this boat as well. JL Audio amps, RF Solo Barric Subs, and MB Quart's top of the line speakers for the high end.

Chris

[email protected]
(513) 706-3199

ScottB 12-15-2003 04:26 PM

Pantera, Bat Boat, Activator, Joker, You can't go wrong on any of these. All great custom boats.
The other boats I have no personal experience with so I can't comment.

jafo 12-15-2003 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Chris232
there is no doubt the 28 foot class is getting very expensive, I priced the 28 active thunder and almost choked.
My priorities are:
good size cockpit.
excellent rough water handling.
speed should be 70 or better or VERY close.
HP 500 unless it runs 70 w/ 496 HO or 502..

The 28 Active Thunder is a great rough-water custom boat- dwarfs a lot of 28's out there, and probably has the most freeboard. It will take HP500 to go 70+ in one, or twin 350 MagMPI ;) :)
No denying it, the Pantera is a great boat too, but I love my AT!
Jim