Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66031-whats-your-favorite-single-engine-25-28-feet.html)

martiniboat 12-19-2003 10:01 PM

I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the Chase 800 the first time I saw it at the Toronto International Boat Show. Excellent back seat design and very high quality workmanship.

Brian

Shanghied Again 12-19-2003 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The donzi has a twin step hull that gives her a smooth re entry ride. Also the 26ZX is a 5800lb boat. Big weight for a 26 and she is a true 26.5 boat not 25 like a Sonic or 24 like a Fountain or a Baja. She also has the same riding surface as the 28ZX with an 8"6 beam

Chase910 12-20-2003 01:05 PM

5800lbs?! Wow! That's as heavy as some 30fters!

Yeah, resale will not be as good with the Campion, but the initial cost is lower so the net result ends up being about the same as with a name brand...at least in my experience selling my Chase 800 vs my Velocity 22.
Shoot, currently my buddy can't give his Formula 271 away.
The cool thing about the Chase 800 rear seat design was this, while in most boats sitting in the rear seat gives you a forward view of the backs of the front seat bolsters, Campion raised the rear seat up so when passengers are seated they can actually see out through the windshield, yet the freeboard is so deep that the sides of the boat are still at shoulder level. Mama and the kids feel secure, and the backrest is raked for comfort. They even provide foot rests in the back to compensate for the higher back seat.
Then, to top it off Campion remembers that you actually have to work on a boats engine and systems once in a while. The back seat had a hinged center section which provided uniterrupted access to the front of the engine making belt and water pump changes a breeze. They even provide lighting. Same with the dash access. Most boats you have to remove the dash panels to access the dash wiring for gauges, Campion provides a large access hatch on the back side and remembers to put a light in there as well! They are very mechanic friendly boats, and are in my opinion the best "bang for the buck" if you're looking for a "family" performance boat.
My wife and I like ours so much we ended up buying Campion's 30' Chase910 when we decided to go to a bigger boat and again the cockpit design won us, plenty of room with an 8'7" beam.
But I can tell you that I still miss my 800, it was like driving a corvette on the water.

BJM 12-20-2003 02:11 PM

The 26 Donzi is far from a GREAT rough water boat. My buddy has one and it does'nt even come close to my PANTERA or ACTIVATOR. It's a nice boat but GREAT is not the right word. Just my opinion based on my first hand experience with all three boats listed.

Steve_H 12-20-2003 02:12 PM

Chase910 , post some pics of your boat.
sounds nice!

FunHome 12-20-2003 02:25 PM

Progression.....I'v always like to lines!! But I have never rode in one, Raced against a few and they were fast and LIGHT and seemed to be damn tough!!!

Chase910 12-20-2003 04:35 PM

If I were boating offshore only, I would definitely consider a Pantera. I looked at them at the Miami boat show and they are a very well built boat and I like the old school looks. The wife and I ruled it out basically because of no windshield....yeah were wimps.
The Activator is a joke!! Yeah, it may ride well but that's because its only a 7' beam! No free-board, cramp cockpit, and the back seat had no rake in it. 90*angle from the bottom cushion and the back cushion. The same problem when I looked at moving up in size in a Velocity. Do the manufacturers actually try sitting in the back seat built with a 90*angle?
Some of us like to have a little comfort while boating and are not always racing offshore.

Shanghied Again 12-20-2003 07:58 PM

Then your buddies dont know how to run a 26ZX.
12 documented Poker Runs
My boat has been in some very big water, Point Pleasant race coming back from SeaSide Heights Race I was a Medic boat we watched a 25ft Baja literally start coming apart 5-6ft waves I had 2 Medics my wife and Just ask Randy from Typhoon Racing I was behind him going back 18miles to the inlet running better then 60mph and not once did we fear the boat or loose a bolt.
Like I said great rough water boat,

WesSmith 12-21-2003 08:33 AM

Originally posted by FunHome
Progression.....I'v always like to lines!! But I have never rode in one, Raced against a few and they were fast and LIGHT and seemed to be damn tough!!!
I agree !!!

Now will somebody buy mine ??

I'm giving this thing away !!!!