Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating in the big easy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66186-boating-big-easy.html)

Becca 12-13-2003 05:19 PM

Boating in the big easy

Does anybody know how the boating is in south LA.
Where are all the hot spots ?

Strip Poker 388 12-14-2003 01:53 PM

New Orleans?There is a few members from that area that my chime in.What you need?

Becca 12-14-2003 03:15 PM

My best friend is moving down there and unless he can sell his 25' checkmate he is going to haul it down. It's a 1990 convincer gtx, freshwater only, new imron, new cabin interior, merc 502, bravo with drive shower and nose cone.

phastang 12-14-2003 03:31 PM

Re: Boating in the big easy

Originally posted by Becca
Does anybody know how the boating is in south LA.
Where are all the hot spots ?

Ok Becca, Here's the skinny: There is great boating on and around Lake Pontchatrain, but be for-warned, the lake gets real nasty, real quick. It's 30 miles across and only about 12 feet deep.

The Hot Spots:
South Shore: The Dock, Jeager's, The Crab Shack
North Shore: Morton's, Friends, Madisonville Beach, The Dock(Slidell), The Chicken Drop
Tickfaw River: The Prop Stop (can only go by boat, Home of Worm Buckets and tons of gorgeous women), Tin Lizzie's, Crazy Charlie's Fun House
Blind River: Blind River Bar
Lake Maurpas: Middendorf's-great seafood, been there forever!

The Hot Events:
Tickfaw 200-early may-over 200 boats, visits all the above spots.
Royal Purple Poker Run-June-Great event with even bettter wet t-shirt contest!
Multiple Boat Parades during Mardi Gras and Christmas.
Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival-Great Boats, Music, People, and food.

Hope this answers some questions for ya'. Your buddy may be better off with a bigger boat, I have a 26 Powerquest and have wished for 10 more feet on more than one occasion. I'd be glad to show you're friend around, especially if she is a 6 foot blond with store bought flotation devices! Good luck!

Ty

open87 12-14-2003 10:38 PM

same as the previous post , the lake can beat the chit out uf you in a flash. southeast la is more of fishing than powerboating. you have a few rivers but they do have alot of no wake zones, on the south shore there is a ICW but no real party places off it . the DOCK and JAGERS have very limited dock space and i mean limited. the PROP STOP is a real hot place for nice hardware. really the thing to do is go to DESTIN FL. that is really the place to boat, a few hour ride but worth it. :D

Bulldog 12-14-2003 11:04 PM

Not boating, but when it snows you can snow ski on Monkey Hill......:D :D :D :D

Where is your friend moving- into the city, the burbs, or northshore?

Bulldog

klmken 12-15-2003 08:47 AM

More importantly WHY is your friend moving there? I'm a transplanted native and love to visit but would never move back....

Becca 12-15-2003 09:04 AM

Lafayette but he doesn't think there's any good boating around there. He's moving there to go into the family business, I was at his apt yesterday and he made catfish filets covered in crawdad tails. Good grief!!!

29 OUTLAW 12-15-2003 09:13 AM

When I lived down in Jefferson Parrish I owned a small Donzi. That boat was perfect for cruising all the little back rivers and bayous down there. Very secluded and scenic back in those areas and nice when you want to get away from the crowds – it’s kind of like going back into the land that time forgot.

magnum27 12-15-2003 09:29 AM

it’s kind of like going back into the land that time forgot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Boy you got that right!!!