Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat speeds w/ this power ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66396-boat-speeds-w-power.html)

Indy 12-17-2003 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Nordic Gary
The 28 Nordic with the 525EFi will put close to 80 after breakin period W/28 lab finished prop
I call BS on that one. I had a 2001 Nordic 28 w/496HO and the best its ever seen is 68 gps, and that's after many WOT runs in optimal conditions and with a variety of props. However, it is a great boat, the hull handles speed very well, very stable and worth a look. The 525 will probably get you a real world no BS speed of about 74gps. After all it's only approximately 75-80 more hp than the 496 and if you use the rule of 20hp per mph, that 74 is possible, but that's stretching it.

Chris288 12-17-2003 11:38 AM

I'm sure Brian builds one hell of a boat, but I'm not really looking for a sit down, and I think his cockpits are pretty small, but I could be wrong..

Thanks again for all the replies...

my short list so far is to check out the following:

28 pantera
288 sunsation
28 active thunder
27 fastech
26 eliminator

other possibilities:

275 baja
26 28 powerquest

I like the looks and styling of the 28 nordic,,, but looks like the steering wheel is planted right in the middle of the guages, making them hard to see..

rode in a friends 28 checkmate w/ 496 375 hp and that sucker did 66 which surprised me. but like I said I don't think checkmates are much better than baja's or pq's. That boat w/ HO should do damn near 70..

Indy 12-17-2003 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Chris232
I'm sure Brian builds one hell of a boat, but I'm not really looking for a sit down, and I think his cockpits are pretty small, but I could be wrong..

I like the looks and styling of the 28 nordic,,, but looks like the steering wheel is planted right in the middle of the guages, making them hard to see..

Brian offers stand up bolsters as well as sit-downs. So far, the boats he produces have been raced, that's why you see only sit-downs. He did indicate that his cockpit is a bit tight in the back seat area, I'll need to see one in person to know if it would work for me. But as you're finding out, there is compromise in ALL 28' boats, you just have to determine which features are important to you. Your list is quite diverse in the features offered in each boat.

In regards to the Nordic, there was never an issue with the layout of the helm, one of the better ones out there I thought. Some pics of my old boat...

Indy 12-17-2003 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cockpit

mlitefan 12-17-2003 12:17 PM

I can tell you first hand what a nice boat the Nordic is as well. A good friend of mine purchased Indy's earlier this year and it is top notch. Great attitude in the water as well and it seems his Cockpit is just a bit larger than mine. I HATE when that happens! :D

Seriously, I love my Sunsation and wouldn't trade it for the world but the Heat would make you proud as well.

From the looks of your list, you can't go wrong. Test them all and then get the one you liked the best for the conditions you will be spending most of your time in.

mlitefan 12-17-2003 12:19 PM

As for the Joker, I know there is one down at Buggs Island I will be tucking my tail and staying away from next year! :D :D

Sweet boat...

Chris288 12-17-2003 12:58 PM

Like I said, I'm sure Brian builds a hell of a boat, but I think by his own admission he builds the bows longer and the cockpits are smaller...

I'd like to think my boat choices have a lot in common, reasonable cockpit space, descent or above average speed for their sizes, cabins are all pretty similar, good or excellent rough water handling..

I love the looks of the cabin on the nordic.. sweet boat all around, but I think its kinda slow w/ stock power, needs an hp 500 and most seem to have tripple axle trailers,,, looking for double axle..

BAJA WILL 12-17-2003 03:10 PM

Chris,

Many of the speeds being posted are BS. Fever Mike hit the nail on the head with the speeds. As a matter of fact Power boat did a test on many of the boats you are listing last year or two. I will see if I can pull out the old mags for you. The most bang for the buck of the ones listed will probably be 28 Sunsation. However look at all of them and take a GPS WITH YOU ON THE TEST RIDE. I would also really consider a 500efi in any of them, I know that a 27 Fountain w/500efi will do 74gps at the factory the day you pick it up, I know mine did.

Will Murray;)

Eternal Warrior 12-17-2003 03:24 PM

I don't think the Nordic is any slower with stock power than the other boats you have listed. But I agree 100% with 27Fountain about posted speeds, take your GPS with you. As for the triple axle trailer, it pulls real nice. My Tahoe pulls it without any problems and I usually drive around 100 - 200 miles one way for a weekend trip.

I'm not trying to sell you on Nordic, but I looked at most of the boats that your talking about and for my preferences the Nordic was the best fit.

39 Unlimited 12-17-2003 03:41 PM

Indy, The 28 Nordic with 525 will run faster than you state. I have had two of them and just took another on trade. Maybe not 80 gps but close. I have been told by Merc that the 525 has crank HP of 540. The key to the 525 is getting through the break-in period. Merc has it running very fat.