Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Notices

Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Old 12-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Caincando1
Lets also not forget that Don wasn't the only local boat builder to be gunned down during that time period. Nobody seems to worried about who killed them or for that matter if they ever found the killer.
Thats True!
Winston Smith shoots himself all the time. Now he even thinks with a limp.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:23 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Spitfire1
T2x........I certainly respect your opinion concerning Don and his accolades...however ...I think you are selling him a little short......Isn't it true that without him...we wouldn't have Magnum....Formula....Donzi.....Cigarette.....and yes.....maybe not even Apache whether you believe it or not.....to say that he built a handful of boats for a few quirky rich racers is understating it at best.....as far as his cats were concerned....given the time to perfect them....who knows where he could have gone with them....although....he was on the backside of his career by then no doubt......but I think you are dismissing him a little when you sum up the man and his career in this fashion......I will agree with you however that he did know how to play the publicity game and Crouse was in no small part responsible for this.....But as they say....he was definitely a man for his time......and I think he deserves a little more credit than you give him......my humble opinion.....Rich
You know there is an old saying "right place..right time"... Aronow was a master of that...no doubt. I agree that we would not have had the names above Donzi, Magnum etc...... but so what? We would still have Bertram...who started the whole vee revolution... (not Aronow)...and a number of other builders, Glastron, Allison, Alim, North American, Maritime, etc. and the actual designers and builders of Don's boats (Wynne Walters, Brownie, Elton Cary..etc, etc) would , no doubt have created other hulls to fill the need for offshore performance boats. Don was great at starting companies and marketing...... but his next step was always to package and peddle these same "brands" to other unsuspecting folk who bought into his "legend" nonsense. Heck.... it still goes on today.

If you look at what Sonny Levi was doing in Europe at the same time Don was creating the Donzi's you will see that the offshore performance hull had many fathers...not one.

All in all this is an interesting thread....but if you go by the facts..... I don't think we would be in a whole lot different place today on the water with or without Don....except that maybe offshore racers would have gotten smart sooner and sat down rather than stood earlier on the process....Don even stood up...in his cats.

Merry Christmas.

T2x
Old 12-24-2003, 12:18 PM
magnum-bankshot

In truth, Rich, the first Cigarette was a cary 33' and named "the cigarette".

Old 12-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I thought the 1st Cigarette was the name from a rum runner smuggling boat. That's where Mr Aronow came up with the name Cigarette - Miss Cigarette! BH
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Charter Member #1528

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“You will see that the offshore performance hull had many fathers...not one”

You are absolutely right, TX2!

We must not forget to give them the respect and credit they so deserve too!

Merry Christmas....
Old 12-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Registered

Was Tommy Adams murder ever solved?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally posted by THEJOKER
I thought the 1st Cigarette was the name from a rum runner smuggling boat. That's where Mr Aronow came up with the name Cigarette - Miss Cigarette! BH
That is the story I heard.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by catmando
Why would you post such a lame attempt at humor in this thread?? Totally irrelevant humor at that.
Lighten up Cat. I read Winston and your comments all the time, and I just laugh about it. You two terrorize common sense.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 PM
magnum-bankshot

this is true, as far as the name goes... but that was a great lakes rum runner. I was reffering to the original offshore race boat that everyone equates with the first cigarette...the boat crt used in thier first website.... the boat Don was linked to for many years...that boat was designed and built by Jean Claud Simon and was a Cary. That boat was used to build the 36 series which evolved into everything else.

Tommy's Murder was never solved.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 PM
magnum-bankshot

By the way, does anyone know the name of the other boat in that book that featured the rum running cigarette? Hint: a 30' Shadow cat Modified boat was named after her in the early eighties

Quick Reply: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.