Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66714-don-aronow-man-myth-legend.html)

Lee 12-19-2003 12:29 PM

Re: Re: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Originally posted by cigracer38
Cmon bro! He was a racin fool.

cigracer38, Where did you get that pic?

spitfire1 12-19-2003 12:33 PM

Originally posted by ThirdBird
As for the "womanizer" stuff: So what! Cripes, even the president did that!!!!

As for getting the "better end of any business deal": Thats what you're supposed to do in a business deal!! He was just smarted than the rest of doped-up idiots he was dealing with.

If you look at his accomplishments you can only come to one conclusion,,,,, this guy was good at what he did. That includes racing. Aronow raced when it was truely "off-shore" racing, not this closed circuit, calm water, pickle-fork bull**** they run today. He ran with no helmet, no canopy, no race suit, no nothing. And he won!!! He did not only win because his boats were fast and strong but because HE was strong. Those were races of attrition and not just mechanical attrition but human attrition.

He was a cool and charismatic man. He knew his business better than anyone else, period. No one could compete with his product success (that's why they bought his companies). Thats the amazing part of his success; He'd sell a successful company then start another and be right back on top again,,,,,, absolutley amazing and unequalled,,,,,,,, to this day.

So, don't be looking for some saint within his soul, don't look for some ethical leader, don't look for what YOU might think makes him a great guy. Personally, I think he was as cool as they come. If a few wives strayed from home to be with "The Don", well, its not like he raped them. They were looking for it just like he was. And, if a few guys got "screwed" in a business deal, tough s**t. Its a nasty world out there and the smart tough guys usually win.

Don Aronow was a smart tough guy!!! I wish he was still with us. (I wish John Lennon was here too)

Nice Post Third Bird..........most excellent!!

BLee 12-19-2003 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Originally posted by Lee
cigracer38, Where did you get that pic?
I have it on my wall. You can order copies from his son. I will find the address and post it.

Biggus 12-19-2003 01:44 PM

I agree Spitfire, great post.

the guy was an animal, I wish I could have met him.

Kurt

THEJOKER 12-19-2003 01:52 PM

3rd Bird:

The gentleman that told me about the screwy deals builds some pretty good after market stuff these days , I talked to him in detail in Daytona this year. No your not supposed to screw people on business deals and what if he screwed your wife? He was a snake to say the least. I've always hated people that try and screw your gal when you turn your back , you could wind up dead that way - hmmmmmmm. He also renigged on his no compete contracts. Great racer yes as a person , well that is questionable. BH

Biggus 12-19-2003 02:16 PM

Joker, I don`t live my life that way but he sure had some charisma.

ThirdBird 12-19-2003 02:25 PM

Joker,
If he'd screwed my wife, I wouldn't let her wash it off!!!!!:D :D :D

THEJOKER 12-19-2003 02:37 PM

Yea he had a way of getting what he wanted. I'd like to see a thread titled " The real men / women of Cigarette" as in the 2nd & 3rd generation laminaters & craftsmen from Columbia / Cuba( boat builders that actually do the work). They are my heroes! BH

Comanche3Six 12-19-2003 03:10 PM

I had a brief encounter with Don Aronow in 1986.
Self confidence, rugged good looks and a real salesman.

Caincando1 12-19-2003 03:11 PM

Whatever you want to believe, he was intentionally murdered. Most people aren't intentionally murdered for nothing. Everyone hates Ben for running drugs(in ships not boats though). Don knowingly supplied smugglers with boats custom built for drug running. Where do you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable???