Notices
View Poll Results: Rehab Or Replace
Rehab the current trailer.
15.63%
Replace the current trailer with a traditional bumper pull.
15.63%
Replace the current trailer with a gooseneck.
68.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Rehab Or Replace

Old 12-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the new trailer if refurbishing is going to run you 2/3 the cost of new. I refurbished mine a couple years ago and if I had to do it again my decision would have been different
Old 12-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave M : Shoot me an e-mail or a PM a few days before coming to town. I can set you up in one of our overflow lots. If you want to avoid the hassle of trailering in town in the summer traffic, contact Sunset Marina (410-213-9600). They have very nice facilities and are right across the street from the ramp. This may work out best because then you could also park your rig there after launching. If you don't get to the ramp early, parking can be somewhat hard to find in the public lot. Again, if you want to keep it in town on one of our lots, it's not a problem. Just be sure to give me a couple of days notice to arrange it.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey hot duck what do you have for memeorial day 2004
Old 12-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Considering the price of a new Myco I would do the work myself on the old one. Sandblasting is not that difficult and painting is even easier. The brakes can be done pretty reasonable too. If you have a unlimited budgett get a new trailer , it's only money. BH
Old 12-20-2003, 11:03 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that thing wasn;t in the greatest shape.

2/3 the cost to fix it? and you still have a 15 year old trailer that has been dunked in salt multiple times.

spend eth extra few grand and geta new one, you can prolly sell eth old one here for a few grand.

FYI the guy you bought it off of used to haul that boat with an f250.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Slingshot: I honestly cannot tell you right now because I am at home. Special weekends usually fill quickly, but there should still be openings right now. We are closed for the winter (until March) and right now everybody is on Christmas vacation. We will be back in the office the first Monday after New Years. Our reservations number is (888) 289-6166. If you prefer, you can check out our web site and complete an Internet reservation request at www.CommanderHotel.com .

Joker/Too Old: You guys both have valid points. The cost of refurbishing and the cost of replacing the trailer are so close because of two factors. First, Bill quoted me an unbelievable price for a new trailer and, second, the labor rates in Florida are higher than they are here in Maryland. So, the refurb price is a little more expensive than it would be here at home and the price of the new trailer is lower than it normally would be.

Puder: A 250! I guess that anything will pull it, but controlling it and stopping it is a different story. Around town a 250 would probably be fine, but for long trips with this kind of load I would certainly want a bigger truck. Remember that this is a resin bucket we are talking about!

Catmando : I did price a dually as well as the triple axle and the dually was almost 10K more expensive! Don't ask me why, but that is the honest truth. I am guessing that the parts for the dually are more expensive. Does anybody have any idea?

Last edited by Hot Duck; 12-20-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Registered

On my trailer the tandem dual option was about $1500 from Manning....Outer42 was telling me the other day that a 200 gallon freshwater tank is another option worth having
Old 12-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Registered

will i was in the same position as you this summer. i have one of tres old virgin trailers. same yr 89, deluxe myco. one reason you should keep that trailer is, its a heavy bastard. they dont make them like they used to. for a few thousand you would have one nice trailer. im so glad i did not spend the money for a new one, im very happy with my trailer. i had to switch to a surge brake system, so all my trucks can haul the boat instead of only the one that was set up. i needed a stop and a winch and had to fix the drive guard a little. sand blast and paint. repacked the axles and new brake pads, i have a brand new trailer. if you have the time its a great project. if you dont have the time sell it to me.....
Old 12-20-2003, 04:24 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we pulled up to the dock and i saw the trailer behinda non dually i was a litle woried when i saw it was a 250 i was convinced the guy was a retard.

that is avery large very heavy boat WAY too much for a 250 even around town.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I voted new gooseneck. Go big or go home, and you have a brand new trailer; with warranty. You don't know how many curbs that old trailer hopped, how jacked out of alignment those axles are, or much else about its history. If I was pulling 47 feet of Apache around, I would not cut the corners, (in more ways than one).

However; I would go with a 5th Wheel over a gooseneck ball though. The 5th Wheel systems are very advanced, with suspension built into the platform as well... AND in the event you ever get into a bind, (blown truck, which we have seen a few times)... just about any Semi/Tractor can hitch up to it. Then you would not have to deal with finding a dually pickup truck with a gooseneck ball and enough truck balls to handle it. Add to that, if you ever wanted to ship it, you can easily hire a Owner/Operator Semi/Tractor to move it for you.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-20-2003 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Rehab Or Replace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.