Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Technology (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66878-boat-technology.html)

WickedWon 12-23-2003 03:54 PM

NO WAY BROTHER

Craig, he's not allowed to actually see the boat, much less sit in it, I'll never hear the end of it :rolleyes: Remember, I'm stuck in the late 70's early 80's he's not burdened with " history", twenty years from now I DON'T WANT HIS COOLEST MEMORY OF AN OLD OFFSHORE TO BE WHEN HE FIRST SAW THE FREAK'N DRAGON !! AHHHHHHH BLASPHEMY !!

Enjoy the holidays !
JD

sgrady 12-23-2003 09:28 PM

Hey, I was not trying to pick on anyone, just trying to get an experts point of view. It does seem to me like their is a magic number of speed that everyone wants. I for one do not want to sacrifice the ride. It was the question of weight being lost hurting that ride. It seems to me that it does.

I maybe wrong I have not been in a TG for the last two years but have been in another Cig. Just again my .02 let's keep this going though.

I want the greatest ride and 100 MPH.

THEJOKER 12-23-2003 09:55 PM

Just from my observation and experience. The new TS Top Guns are a awesome ride. The older ones I've seen and ridden in seem to porpoise alot. Anybody else agree? BH

mmwalters 12-23-2003 10:11 PM

Joker I do agree that the 38 cig porpoise a lot. I liked the ride of the old 35' better.

wallynt 12-24-2003 02:14 AM

Hey Craig,

I checked out your web site and I have to say that that is an AWSOME boat you guys have put together. Top shelf in all aspects of design, materials and MFG process.

NICE WORK!!

Havasu Cig 12-24-2003 09:34 AM

My T/S is a 2001 and does not porpoise at all.

sean stinson 12-24-2003 10:17 AM

All the TS Cigs lost their porpoise with the addition of steps but that is because when the steps are out in the rocker goes away to give it a 3 point riding surface. I agree with The Joker the older non step stuff has a lope or porpoise to it until you start running in the 70 and over speed ranges then it is up on the back running surface of the boat. But I must agree with Mr. Grady I would rather have the ride in the rough instead of wringing every last once of speed out of it. This probably explains why I have been very partial to the old Apaches and Cigs with bigger power in them.

Nauti Kitty 12-24-2003 10:42 AM

2 observations if I may?

1 This thread is a great example of what's good about oso. No one in a pissing match or taking anything personnal. Just knowledgeable boaters (with the exception of Nauti kitty and JM) sharing their experiences on this topic.
2 The 100mph powerboat article is the perfect example of one thing no one seems to talk about regarding rough water rides. Take a ride in 4' or bigger seas in those two stepped v bottoms and JD's boat from Key West to Ft Lauderdale at 75-85. Both that Cig and Donzi are great boats that haul ass but there would be a good chance that running that hard and fast for that long would leave them driveless. 750 cobras and bravos? Those boats will lose drives at 50 hours or less if they are run hard no matter who's throttling. That's a fact. Mercury needs a drive that lasts and these big heavy old resin buckets have them in 6's. Sadly they are too heavy for boats like the Dragon which no doubt would benefit from a stronger bravo type drive. I think rough water ride also has a lot to do with the drives when it's really rough. Primal Instinct and I made that exact ride four weeks ago in those conditions and when we got back we wanted to turn around and do it again. No one was sore and we never thought about our drives. Oh what a feeling. :D

sean stinson 12-24-2003 11:13 AM

Amen

sean stinson 12-24-2003 11:16 AM

Parnell you need an avatar