Digital Cameras

Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I have an old floppy disk Sony Mavica.
I have an Olympus C700.
I have a Sony DSC-P30.

The leetle beety Sony is my weapon of choice. about the size of HALF a pack of smokes. Hangs on a necklace or fits in any pocket. Open the sliding lens door and (with up to a 32 MB memory stick) it is ready to shoot before you get it up in position (with a 128 Mb stick, it causes a 4 second delay on startup). No zoom, no manual overrides. Takes great 1280x1024 pix. Handiest thing I've ever owned.

The Olympus is a far superior and more capable camera but is large (about the size of an SLR). I only take it on "known" camera missions, whereas I take the tiny Sony everywhere.

The Mavica is used only for "pop n go" pix where I need to give somebody a fast floppy.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I like Canon and still use mine. I have two SLR F-1 bodies and a ****load of lenses. I will NOT buy a Canon digital because Canon chose, a few years back, to make all the old lenses obsolete. I can buy a new digital or film, Nikon and it will still accept lenses that were made in the 60s. When I get a new digital it will not be a Canon.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:57 AM
Organdonor

Lightbulb

yellowbird,

Sorry, I typed that post in a hurry I did not mean to implicate that Sony has better lenses but rather that it came with larger zoom capability. I was aware of Cannon's long line of lenses.

I am really only in a debate between the Rebel and D10. The following section of this review has me worried though as I am interested in take pictures of those "Cigarette boats"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...EDRAREPORT.HTM
If you shoot a lot of sports, you won't be happy to only find AI Servo AF in the "Sports" Image Zone mode, as this mode brings its own set of limitations - for example, you can't shoot RAW files in the Sports mode. Hence, photographers who place importance on being able to select the AF mode will want to skip the Digital Rebel, and go for either the EOS 10D, EOS 1D, or another brand. Focus lock is also missing, although a rough-shod workaround is to autofocus and then switch the camera to manual focus mode. If you don't shoot a lot of sports or fast-moving subjects though, chances are that 99% of the time you'll be satisfied with autofocus on the Digital Rebel - it is certainly far faster and more accurate than AF on pretty much any other camera in this price range.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Organdonor

Hmm, now all I need is $4000 camera budget so I can get the 10D and Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens and a few other nice things like memory.

Well, If I go with the 10d and it looks like I am what would u suggest would be a more cost effective yet decent performing lens. Although that lens does look nice I believe I would need to wait to purchase it as Photograph isn't an income in my house, more a fascination. Something I would Like to see myself being really good at in the future.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:22 PM
wayne

I have the olympus c700 , takes great pics outside , sucks indoors ... my friend had a nikon 995 , it rules ..

Old 12-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sony cybershot
easy to use,not full of unknown buttons,excellent pics
200-300$ price range

dscp2 : i think this is the model number of mine,light blue color

good luck
Old 12-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Organdonor

Yellowbird,

What are your thoughts on this Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...206435&is=GREY

Old 12-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Organdonor

Hmm here is a competitor....

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Ultra Zoom XR LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS $ 369.95

An incredibly small and light 28-300mm zoom lens with a constant minimum focus distance and a high maximum magnification of 1:2.9. The remarkable achievements are brought about through XR (extra refractive index) glass and efficient use of aspherical lenses. Size is reduced 25%, weight 27% and filter diameter was decreased from 72mm to 62mm. Image quality is not compromised, and it appears that the XR technology will initiate change throughout the industry.
6-Year Warranty
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Old 12-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have decided on the Niikon Coolpics 4300. I am also buying the 256 mb card, a spare battery and a printer thanks to all your advise. It helped having a little knowledge when going to the store
Old 12-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Organdonor

I just ran across this any thoughts...... I know canon is best I couldn't really get a grasp for what anyone thought about this camera as compared to the Canon EOS 10D

Model: JV900

10.2MP
Foveon X3 image sensor
18-50mm lens
55-200mm lens
Remote control
Professional grade

Sigma SD10 Preview, October 2003, Phil Askey

Sam's Club 10.2MP Sigma SD-10 Package $1,562.00

Quick Reply: Digital Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.