Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Troutly and all other police officers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66920-troutly-all-other-police-officers.html)

Payton 12-22-2003 10:53 AM

Troutly and all other police officers

PLEASE be careful out there!

We had an Indiana State Tooper shot and killed this moring. I just found out it's the son of a guy that I went to high school with. The tooper went to our church untill he went to college about 10 years ago. I've lost track of him since then. he was 27 married with a baby on the way.
He simply stopped to help a disabled motorist. tunes out the disabled car was stolen. A 19 year old kid jumps out and shoots him. A trucker stopped and used his semi to shield the toopers backup untill the motorist was shot, not killed, heis in the hospital and being charged with murder.

Please be careful out there!!

Mark

Shane 12-22-2003 10:57 AM

What a terrible tragedy! Here is a cop doing the right thing and trying to lend a helping a hand and is shot inteh process. Best wishes to his young wife and unborn child. And to top it off it is the holidays!:( How sad.:(

ST31 12-22-2003 11:09 AM

I just want to say thank you for all that each of you do every day.

NJgr8ful 12-22-2003 11:23 AM

CLIFTON MOTORCYCLE COP KILLED (murderd, I say) IN CRASH

My brother's bud, Anthony DiMartino, was the guy mentioned who witnessed from his living room and jumped out, ran this guy down in his socks, tackled the @#$@!$! and held him till back-up showed. Happened right before Thanksgiving last month. Thanks to you guys who put it on the line daily!

A city police officer was killed Friday when his motorcycle was broadsided by a fleeing suspect driving with a suspended license - the first line of duty death in the department's 83-year history.

John Samra, 41, was pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson less than an hour after calling in a motor vehicle stop at the intersection of Union Avenue and Third Street.

He was writing a traffic ticket when Luis Hernandez fled the scene and allegedly ran a stop sign a few blocks away at Washington Street and Maple Place, crashing into Samra.

Hernandez, a 39-year-old Passaic resident, was charged with vehicular homicide, driving with a suspended license, eluding, leaving the scene of a fatal accident and aggravated assault, said Passaic County Senior Assistant Prosecutor James Wilson. Bail was set at $1 million, $200,000 of which must be posted in cash.

Two witnesses, one came out of his home in stocking feet, apprehended Hernandez, who ran from the wreckage, leaving the officer bleeding in the street, authorities said. Meanwhile, numerous patrol cars were dispatched to the scene.

"That kind of information is like lightning striking the Police Department," said Lt. John Storms who spoke with Samra earlier in the morning, never imagining it would be a last conversation. "Everybody talks about it, but it's a whole other thing when it's one of your own. It's the reality of the job."

Authorities are unsure why Samra had stopped Hernandez at 10:02 a.m., although the county is in the midst of a Click It or Ticket blitz to promote seatbelt safety, said Lt. Les Goldstein.

Samra, who began his shift at 7:30 a.m., pulled over Hernandez, who was driving the 1994 Plymouth Voyager van of his girlfriend, Alicia Alvardo. Police said Hernandez took off, heading east on Union Avenue and turning north on Maple Place. Samra, apparently hoping to cut off the fleeing driver, took an alternate route and headed east on Washington Street.

"The van ran the stop sign and hit him. The cop goes flying off his bike and the van spun around," said Mike Rabel, 17, who witnessed the crash. Rabel, a Clifton High School senior, was on his the way to the White Castle restaurant at Piaget and Main avenues.

Rabel dialed 911, went to check on Samra but jumped back in his car when Hernandez allegedly ran from the scene, he said.

Anthony DiMartino was inside his Maple Place house logging on to his computer when the sound of a roaring motorcycle made him look out the window.

Then, he said, a gray minivan ran the stop sign.

DiMartino ran outside and chased Hernandez while Rabel pulled his car onto a sidewalk blocking the escape route, authorities said. They tackled Hernandez a few houses away and dragged him back to the accident to wait for police.

"He said he didn't kill anybody," DiMartino said. "I brought him back and showed him what he did."

Investigators cordoned off the typically quiet street between Maple Place and Third Street in the city's downtown district, measuring skid marks and surveying the wreckage. A swarm of officers responded, including accident investigators from Samra's division. Few words were said.

"I was on the verge of tears numerous times on that scene. I had to stop a couple of times and take a deep breath to get the job done," said Capt. Gary Giardina."We're human. It's one of our own laying there."

Just three days earlier, Samra strolled into Neil's Pizza while Detectives Edgar Rodriguez and John Stianche ate lunch.

He sat down with them and was in extremely good spirits, chatting about plans to move in with his girlfriend. The 15-year veteran, who worked the past five years as an accident investigator in the traffic division, was divorced and had no children.

At headquarters, some 150 officers pulled black mourning straps from desk drawers and solemnly placed them over their badges.

Others draped bunting across City Hall, remembering a "brother" who ran marathons with kids in the Special Olympics, spent six years in the U.S. Air Force and "served the department with dedication and distinction."

"He'd be in Bagels Abroad and say hi to my kids, pat my little son Tyler on the head - always had a smile on his face," said Sgt. William Gibson. "He was a tremendous officer - an out and out asset to the department."

mjpcowboy 12-22-2003 11:29 AM

We don't say thanks enough for the job you do every day.

ThirdBird 12-22-2003 11:36 AM

I also mant to say thanks to all of you cops out there.

Thank You.

And,,,,, here's a tip to keep yourself safe and alive:

Shoot those dirty SOBs before they shoot you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will side with a cop every time.

Dave

Roger 1 12-22-2003 11:36 AM

It just pissess me off to no end when some souless POS crackhead ends a decent human beings life! I hope the bastard burns for this!

JPD Motorsports 12-22-2003 11:48 AM

Be safe guys and gals, as for all the crazys' are coming out of the woodwork fo rthe holidays.

ZP\'d 12-22-2003 12:20 PM

Absolutly a shame that over a holiday or anytime a Police Officers widow has to grieve for no reason. Police Officers everywhere don't get the pay or respect they should now-days. Kudo's to all them!

Also kudo's to the Trucker who stopped to help! Many of my fellow Truckers have done simular deeds and need to also be recognised, rather then scrutinised by the public for doing a job that has to be done.

CBlakeNS 12-22-2003 12:28 PM

Wow, thats sad!!

Be safe officers!! Appreciate all you do for us!