Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   RUF car reviews... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67207-ruf-car-reviews.html)

puder 12-27-2003 10:03 PM

cool vids. i think he'd be faster if he was little smoother. damn good car control but its seems he is have to make serious corrections everytime he turns the car instead of making a good turn in and making minor corrections. But then again that car might just be a serious handful.

cash what do you think?

SS930 12-27-2003 10:10 PM

Originally posted by puder
cool vids. i think he'd be faster if he was little smoother. damn good car control but its seems he is have to make serious corrections everytime he turns the car instead of making a good turn in and making minor corrections. But then again that car might just be a serious handful.

cash what do you think?

:D :D :D

GLH 12-27-2003 11:06 PM

The Nurburgring is now a track anyone can get on, they charge so much per lap and you can go nuts with whatever vehicule you have. If you notice in the first video at about 5:30 he slows down because someone wipe themselves out on a bike and they are picking him up with an ambulance you see it clearer on the video.

Bulldog 12-28-2003 01:36 AM

Original RUF cars are built from Porsche parts- starting with a complete bare body shell, with no undercoating, paint etc. The RUF built cars are titled as a Ruf, not a Porsche, and do not come with the Porsche badges.

I read an article back when Ruf was building the prototype CTR which was being tested while in dark green primer, and had NATO stenciled on the doors.

The AMG comparison is that AMG was also once an independent builder.

There were also the Kremer cars which were race cars as well as road cars. A Kremer K3 935 won LeMans outright in 1979, I think. That is a 24 hour race with the car spending much of the time WFO. The last 935's were 2.8 liter (about 175 cubes) and made about 780 HP. Copeland had a K3, don't know if he still does.

The supplier of carbon fiber/ Kevlar body parts to Kremer also built cars- DP (Designs in Plastic). They had a beautiful slope nose front end and could be done with an off-road setup that widened the rear about 4 inches beyond stock 930 Turbo flares, and could run 335 rear tires.

I had a 1984 triple black 930 Turbo Porsche that was modified to about 450 HP (weight: 2800 lbs). The performance was unreal. It would pull from 80 to 140 in third faster than you could read off the numbers. Never found out about fourth, but by the gear ration/rpm charts 180 was attainable.

puder 12-28-2003 12:46 PM

cash i've never driven one of the older porsches. Well i've driven one but never really pushed it. They are really that squirelly on the edge?

The new ones (993) are pretty good i find. The 996 handles great but feel like a damn lexus, no feedback.

and teh no safety gear thign is insane!!!!!!

lowblue320 12-28-2003 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
did someone say kremer my dads friend from those fantastic 80's had one, here is a picture of one that i found that looks like it but his friend had diffrent wheels (gotti wheels were the ones he had) all i can say was the car was extremly fast and also his favorite...by the way he had ferarris,dp porsches,935"s but this was his fav...

SS930 12-28-2003 04:46 PM

Originally posted by puder
cash i've never driven one of the older porsches. Well i've driven one but never really pushed it. They are really that squirelly on the edge?

The new ones (993) are pretty good i find. The 996 handles great but feel like a damn lexus, no feedback.

and teh no safety gear thign is insane!!!!!!

Puder,
I just watched the videos... pretty cool! Whoever is behind the wheel has some talent. The video was clearly made to be entertaining and smooth and fast doesn't make for great entertainment. That guy behind the wheel hit all of his marks and keep in mind what he was driving... that's a narrow bodied 911 with some serious power (CTR turbo?). Incredibly difficult to drive at the limits! Serious over-steer with big turbo power and lag...

1990 and new 911 have power assisted steering. They had to go this route because the cars were getting to heavy while the tires/rims were getting wider. The power steering and increased weight really changed the feel of the 911. The 964 had some rear suspension changes and the 993 was a total redesign of the rear suspension (which is still in use under the 996). While these improvements where mostly a good thing, the changes have taken alot of the 'fun' out of the 911. The newer driver-friendly versions took most of the old-school challenge out of pushing a 911 to the limits. 911's are a real handful, but in a good way. They require a lot of driver input (as you can see in the videos) and some damn good driving skills to keep the hood pointing in the proper direction. The real beauty of the older 911's is the feel they transmit to the driver, much like FC's.

The narrow 911's (late 60's-mid 70's)with a few suspension mods are some BIG fun on the track with their lack of flares and skinny rear tires. While they're not that fast, they feel like a giant go-cart. The SC's of the late 70's and early 80's are faster and are still a lot of fun with a few suspension mods. By the the end of the 80's, the 911 was getting heavy and you know what that means.

The 964's (early 90's) were even more refined than the 911 of the late 80's. A lot of improvements, but again the feel of the car continued to be diluted. The 993 was by far the best of the air cooled 911's, but the 993 had mostly transformed the 911 into a touring/GT car. Although I still haven't warmed up to the 996, it's a better car than the air cooled model in just about ever respect... It just doesn't have the feel and heart of the old car IMHO.

The turbos (930's) are a whole nother ball game. They have slightly revised suspension geometry and as you know, larger flares/wheels/tires. The turbo power compounds the wicked over-steer of the 911 by adding more weight over the rear, more power, and big time turbo lag. VERY tricky to drive at the limit (narrow bodied turbos like the yellow Ruf are even more hairy). I often tell students that if you can master driving a 930, you can drive ANYTHING at the limit. The turbos had many changes over the years and many were a double edged sword. The power output went up while the cars got more refined and heavier to the point they didn't feel like the street legal race cars that they once were.

You must get your butt in an older 911 on the track, they are SO much fun. Try to find someone with tricked-out 70-84 911 that will let you take it out for a couple of laps, you'll be looking for another toy. ;)

BLee 12-28-2003 05:33 PM

I thought that guy was going to lose it several times. Whew!

We have had 2 914's, 3 911 Targas, 1 928, 1 964, a 993 (mine) and picked up a 996 cab last Summer.

The 914's were fun, pretty under powered though.

The 911's were quick and did indeed give great feel to the driver.

The 928 was very powerful. Sluggish on handling because of the weight.

The 964 was a nice improvement but seemed more like mainly body styling changes to the 911. Quicker and more responsive though.

The 993 runs like hell in any condition.

The 996 has a smoother clutch (which I cant get used to.) It is, like Puder said, more luxury oriented that the previous models. It still hauls ass and rips the turns but I miss the rugged style of the pre 1998 models.

I am anxiously awaiting the 997's debut.

puder 12-28-2003 05:35 PM

haha no more toys!!! i just bought a 90 euroswift for ****s and giggles, i can fix wrecks on it myself without goign to a body shop :D

so what kind of instructor are you? do you run withthe scca at all?

SS930 12-29-2003 08:27 AM

Your going to have fun with the swift. They're cheap to run and as you said, also easy to fix. I use to have a VD that I ran in formula ford. Good times and low dollar racing. I haven't done much with SCCA over the past couple of years, but they are a great group. I've been cutting down on my track time more and more every year (not by choice!) and now I'm down to only running with the PCA. Although I still have a couple of track cars (GT2 and 911), I think my competitive racing days may be over this year. I just dont have the time it takes to put into it (and I'm sure you know what it takes). In all honesty, I think I'm starting to enjoy the club events (unofficial racing) a little more since it's more relaxed and unstructured. As far as instructing goes, I do it for PCA. They have what they call their "drivers ed" program (for insurance purposes :D). It's well organized and they have tons of events all across the country, probably more so than any other club. I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people, run with some top notch racers, and drive some serious hardware with PCA. Only had two scary instances with students driving, the first was when a student froze up and decided to by-pass the bus stop at the Glen, never even lifted... and the other was a woman that decides that being on the track in her husband's 993 turbo was to scary so she stopped the car in the middle of the track after the up hill at Lime Rock and cried her azz off... thank god for the flagers!:D Needless to say I don't take green students out any more. :D