Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What if - no kill switch??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67329-what-if-no-kill-switch.html)

Ted G 12-28-2003 09:17 PM

Glad you were o.k., sure made me remember those kill lanyards and a pfd when I'm alone. Sorry if I paraphrased the story, it has been a while.

R Addiction 12-28-2003 09:22 PM

I read that story!! You are one lucky SOB!!! That is a shame about your boat, looks very clean!:(

I was tossed out of an Apache running over 80 on the NYC poker run in '99. No life vest, got knocked out and luckily was found by one of the other 3 guys tossed!! I always wear my lanyard and when I'm running hard or the water turns ugly on goes the sospenders!! :)

FeverFan 12-28-2003 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Hang Time 27
The guy in the Cig pulled me out, but wouldn't follow the boat.
Man.....that sux.

Glad no one was hurt.

WARPAINT 12-28-2003 09:27 PM

Originally posted by R Addiction
I read that story!! You are one lucky SOB!!! That is a shame about your boat, looks very clean!:(

I was tossed out of an Apache running over 80 on the NYC poker run in '99. No life vest, got knocked out and luckily was found by one of the other 3 guys tossed!! I always wear my lanyard and when I'm running hard or the water turns ugly on goes the sospenders!! :)

Bull[cough]$hit!!!

Hang Time 27 12-28-2003 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ted,
no problem. You were actually pretty close considering how much stories usually change over time! I grew up in Olney, know Gaithersburg quite well.

Jon,
At the time I thought for sure someone was going to get hurt, or it was going to spear some lawyers sailboat, (we've got lots of those here) and I'd loose everything I had or ever would have..... color me lucky.......

'nother pic. Carb actually melted down into intake - gone !!

Keith 12-29-2003 12:55 AM

We had a similar result in the Bay this year again, boat found with motor running ashore (Pooles Island/Aberdeen area), nobody around. DNR suspected 2 fishermen were ejected from the boat and were searching. I never followed up on the story, not sure what exactly happened. I think it was around August of this year.

Glad you're okay, could have been a real tragedy beyond just the loss of the boat. You're from G'burg area like Ted? We won't hold it against you. :)

ragtop409 12-29-2003 01:11 AM

WOW! that is all hard to belive. No one else getting hurt, but hitting an island, motor getting so hot it torched the boat. Yikes! :( Rag's

MnFastBoat 12-29-2003 04:16 AM

Originally posted by wwwTOPDJcom
damn I guess Now with my future repower I will need
to start wearing my kill switch lanyard :eek:

Hate to say it but it does not matter what power you are running. :(

Remember a few stories about boats running alone
one was a jet boat, little seado not a pwc but the boat style. Not sure if it was a single or twin, does not matter, it ran aground into a crowded beach :(
Memory is not perfect but I do know it hit at least two people and I want to recolect that one of the two died, but not positive on the outcome.
One time on my own PWC I fly over a barge wake on the ole Miss river and I found my self going right when the ski went left. The ski ended on shore and i had to swim to it. If the lanyard was not attached to kill it who knows how far it would have went.
Another local boater ran his bout aground at over 60. Landed up an embankment onto the road over 50 feet from the shore line. His daughter was in the cabin, him and his sons were ejected. I think one son died :(

I cannot believe boats are even built without kill switches. I know mine was :( Argued like hell about it .
Never realized it until seeing all the accidents.
I put one in and wear if faithfully.

This story needs to end on the note as to what boat replaced this one??

CBlakeNS 12-29-2003 05:29 AM

Ouch that sucks!!!

mr_velocity 12-29-2003 06:56 AM

Originally posted by WARPAINT
Bull[cough]$hit!!!
No really, I don't know who it was but someone was thrown from the boat.