Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67369-i-think-i-victum-discrimination-what-would-you-do.html)

mcollinstn 12-29-2003 12:36 PM

I like Scotts idea.

Go back once a week and haul a ton of goods to the counter and then make sure that somebody in your crowd has no ID on them.

Ha!

impulsive 12-29-2003 01:09 PM

I have run into this problem before as well. Not because of race but because of my work. I 'm in landscaping and am usually a filthy mess. I walked into a dealership to look at a truck and they looked at me like I was an alien. Because my clothes were all dirty they assumed I didnt' have any money. Little did they know i had already been approved and had the letter in my pocket. After about 10 min. of their crap I asked them is there a problem? One guy said to me well sir I'm just wondering if you might be interested in some used trucks we have out back. I looked at him , pulled out the letter and said you just lost a 35k sale you a s s ho le and went to another dealership. You should have seen the guy trying to back peddle as i was walking out the door.

cobra marty 12-29-2003 01:23 PM

I fail to see the discrimination in your story, rudeness and disrespect yes, but that doesn't make discrimination. You pulled out the racist card. Those people are ignorant and idiots and you shouldn't have been treated like that.

The government is to blame for this.

One Country, One race, We're all Americans.

Scott B 12-29-2003 01:28 PM

Life is short.. get over it, move along, purchase stuff elswehere :) :) :)

Scott B

GLH 12-29-2003 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Scott B
Life is short.. get over it, move along, purchase stuff elswehere
What Scott said.

frequentflyer 12-29-2003 03:24 PM

Cobra Marty,
I don't think I pulled out the racist card. I tried to ask myself why someone would be so nice to everyone else in the store but so rude, totally unprovoked, to me and the girls that were with me. We had not had a single drink all day so it's not like it was alcohol altered preception. Marathon to me is like a second home. I commute between Miami and Marathon almost every weekend. The people there for the most part are awesome. I have never had a problem there before.
Maybe it was racism or maybe she just did not like us because she hadn't gotten laid in 10 years. Whatever the people at cash registers should be treating anyone rudely because the bottom line is that if people case she should really not be treating customers like that. Look, I may not like you but if you are my customer, I will look you straight in the face, smile and take your money. Hypocritical as it may seem, I just don't think business today would survive if everyone exhibited their personal opinions at the register. If I owned the place I would make sure that s**t was left at home. It has no place in the work place. Thanks for everyone's response. I am going to send a few letters and I think I am going to do what both Scott B 's said. I'm gonna go back w/o id, put a whole bunch of stuff on the counter and leave (if she is working.) Then, I am going to get over it, move along and purchase at Marathon Liqours (a little more expensive) but I have never had a problem there. :D :D

frequentflyer 12-29-2003 03:27 PM

By the way, you are right...

One Country, One race, We're all Americans.

That's how it is in the battlefield in the military, that is how it should be at home...

Tantrum 12-29-2003 03:49 PM

Where are the Mass guy's
I believe in Massachusetts they ID everyone in the party which includes a bar code swipe of your ID. If you were to have an accident w/ alcohol involved they can find out who was with you when you bought it.
If someone with you is under age you dont get served.
They can also go to your car and get the ID's from your passengers.
This is on Cape Cod in Orleans MA

frequentflyer 12-29-2003 04:04 PM

Damn Tantrum,
Seems like you guys are pretty strict up there.. Not in South Fla. Never had that problem. But, if it were the case, I would be ok with it. Remember, everyone was over 21, but not everyone had their IDs with them. My problem is that people were walking in and out of there without getting carded and some I am sure were younger than us...

Fred.. Believe me.. They are going to hear from me... :)

wetpleasure 12-29-2003 04:18 PM

The people in liquir stores.
After hearing your story i have to tell you mine this happen a couple of years ago. We where packing up to go boating for the weekend so before hooking up the boat. me and my women run down to the liquirer store. We both had on jean shorts and tank tops hers being a lot shorter and tighter than mine. We walk in and she ask if she can help us, we say no just looking, We where looking tomix some cazy stuff up. She ask us two more time while we where looking. like she was in a hurry to get us out . Finaly on the third time she ask if she can help us I turn to my women and acted like i put somthing in my pocket. We where looking at half gallon stuff and there are no small bottels around. W e make a seltion of three half gallons of booze and goto the counter I pull my cash out of my pocket to pay her and she ask me to take what ever i put in my poket out. I look at her and pull the rest of my cash and car keys out and lay them on the counter and ask her if she thought I put a half of gallon of jim beam in my pocket. She said I should be lucky she didnt call the police. I just laugh and went on my way. Never have bought anything from that store since.

p.s. The jean I had on fit tight old cut offs