Notices
View Poll Results: Rehab Or Replace
Rehab the current trailer.
15.63%
Replace the current trailer with a traditional bumper pull.
15.63%
Replace the current trailer with a gooseneck.
68.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Rehab Or Replace

Old 12-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rehab Or Replace

Ok guys. Here is the situation. I am debating on restoring or replacing the trailer under our 45 Apache.

The current trailer is a 1989 Myco tandem dually with 4 boxes, a drive guard, a fuel tank for a generator and a water tank and pump for washing/flushing. It has the potential to be a really nice trailer. It just needs a paint job, new wiring, a brake conversion from air to electric/hydraulic and a little TLC.

Now, the other option is to replace the trailer with a new Myco. If we go this way, it will be a triple axle with the same options as the current trailer, minus the fuel tank.

As for cost, the complete rahab of the current trailer will cost just a little less than 2/3 of the cost of a new trailer.

Now, if we replace the current trailer, do we go with a traditional bumper pull or a gooseneck? We are considering a gooseneck because of the weight of the boat. The tow vehicle is a 2002 F-450. Your opinions?

Last edited by Hot Duck; 12-20-2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Myco do refurbs of their trailers?? I have wondered whether they can just blast and repaint.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:27 AM
FWK

Gooseneck with torsion axles. Pulls better the truck rides better and it is much safer.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a new one and give that old one to me.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider how long you are going to keep the boat/trailer package. If you might sell it in the next few years your not going to get the money back. Referbed correctly should be as good as new.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would by mine if you want a newer trailer
Old 12-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

What if you buy the new one, sell the old one, and end up close to the refurbished price?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

d-hlaw: As of this time, Myco does not do any rehab work in house. If we rehab the current trailer it will be blasted before it is painted. From what I understand, Myco's painter would handle this part for Martin Marine. After paint, the trailer would go back to Martin for the rest of the work.

Lapse of Reason: If we build a new trailer, we may be able to work out a sweet deal on the old one.

Tantrum: I am planning on keeping this boat for a long time. I agree that a good referb will make this trailer as good as new, but for just a little more money we can get a brand new trailer and not a refurbished trailer that will still be 15 years old. This has been a tough decision. That's why I am turning to OSO for some guidance and opinions.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave M: That's an idea! If we build a new one and sell the old one to make up some of the difference between rehab and replacement costs, then we get a new trailer and somebody gets a good deal on the old trailer. That may be the solution! Anybody have any interest in the old trailer?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Somebody with the time and resources could buy and refurb the old one themselves and save $$. Where is TOO Old??

p.s. I may book a stay at your hotel this summer. Where is a safe place to keep a boat on a trailer in OC for a few days?

Quick Reply: Rehab Or Replace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.