Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   silent or loud (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67735-silent-loud.html)

Fightclub 02-24-2004 03:57 AM

I dont have the option but would like to. Long no wake get's old after a while.

Plus coming in around 2:00 AM to the dock :eek: :eek: You get more attention than you want sometimes.

Frequency 02-25-2004 09:01 AM

Here's a question for those with experience:

What is quieter at idle, muffled exhaust or running silent choice on?

C_Spray 02-26-2004 08:19 AM

Captains Call/Silent Choice by a mile. All you hear is a little "woofa-woofa-woofa" sound with a little rattle from the valves.

As Elmer Fudd says: "Be vewy, vewy kwiyut..."

Also makes for A LOT less shouting and frayed tempers around the docks. (You married guys know what i mean.)

OldSchool 04-13-2004 01:56 PM

Originally posted by C_Spray
Captains Call/Silent Choice by a mile. All you hear is a little "woofa-woofa-woofa" sound with a little rattle from the valves.

As Elmer Fudd says: "Be vewy, vewy kwiyut..."

Also makes for A LOT less shouting and frayed tempers around the docks. (You married guys know what i mean.)

Not to mention setting off car alarms!!:p :cool: :cool:

hp500efi 04-13-2004 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Cord
I gotta admit, silent can be nice.

waddit he say....? my hearing is still suffering from hearing Cord's boat from last year ;)

Seriously, Cord's boat sounds BADASS however there are times when silent choice is nice. I have it and do use it when off plane.

FFO 04-13-2004 06:14 PM

LOUD!!! If all you hear is exhaust buy a bigger amp for your radio!!:D :D :D :D Or you could always buy a Sailboat:eek: :eek:

LostinBoston 04-13-2004 07:08 PM

Personally i like it loud when im driving. When im hung over on sat or sun mornin and some guy from across the canal from me decides to go on an 8 am run and does not have silent choice or another muffler, im not happy. It can also get annoying at restaurants. Of course when im driving, the louder the better, my family doesnt agree though so my next boat will have some sort of silencer.

Michael Ward 04-13-2004 09:22 PM

ALL MY BUDDIES HAVE BEEN TICKETED OR STOPPED AND WARNED /CHECKED INTHIER BOATS ON LOTO.
I HAVE SILENT CHOICE ON MY 42 LIGHTNING AND USE IT A LOT WHEN WE VISIT LOTO AND I HAVE NEVER EVEN GOT AS MUCH AS A SECOND LOOK FROM MISSOURI FIVE -O.
DON'T GET RID OF SOMETHING THAT COULD BE YOUR BEST BUD ON LOTO
ANY ONE WHO THINKS YOU SHOULD DITCH THEM HAS NOT SPENT MUCH TIME BOATING ON LOTO

Bulldog 04-13-2004 11:33 PM

Leave the engines out and put sails on it.D :D :D

I personally like 160 DB from dry headers. My earplugs are rated -29 DB, so one of the safety guys at work told me I will go deaf after about 200 hours of running. I won't be able to hear my wife complain about all the money I'm spending on 2 blower setups or some other essentials...

Seriously, any time you expose your ears to any noise that makes them ring, you have done damage to your hearing. They may recover, and they may not. A coworker went to a NASCAR race without earplugs and now has Tinnitus (sp?) which is a permanent ringing in his ears. I believe 85 DB is the starting point at which prolonged exposure can cause problems.

Warpaint- Thanks for stepping up to the plate."The Voice of Insanity":frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Wasabe 04-13-2004 11:51 PM

Thunder Chief needs to have thunder. :D