Notices

1075 Merc

Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jafo
Jet-A not required, the fuel controllers are altered to run on diesel.
Av-gas? That's 100 octane low-lead gasoline.....
Yes I know they can't run AV-gas. I was just saying for the high hp gasoline motors that require AV-fuel it can be difficult to find on fuel docks.

Thank you for the info on the turbines. Nice to hear from someone who works on them.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they can get it right. This will be high on the list for my next setup, boat and all.
Attached Thumbnails 1075 Merc-picture-012.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cigracer38
Yes I know they can't run AV-gas. I was just saying for the high hp gasoline motors that require AV-fuel it can be difficult to find on fuel docks.
Thank you for the info on the turbines. Nice to hear from someone who works on them.
I think the octane requirements of some engines is why you see so much effort by the top builders going toward NA power, or 'low boost for longetivity' type engines that can run on dock-available fuel.
That high-octane and Av-gas should be right up your alley with your line of work?
Although I work on turbines, it's strictly been in the high-dollar corp-jet environment. I certainly would love to have a turbine-powered boat some day, but unfortunately it is out of the reach of my salary. I certainly do love spending time with Steve David at the Detroit Gold Cup each year though. Special application I know, but you haven't seen how a turbine performs in a boat until you see the Unlimiteds!
BTW, Tulsa, OK training for all my ratings, including all the flight ratings. Spent many a time looking down at Grand Lake through a little Cessna's window building time. Hope we can meet in Miami- would love to see all those Cigs at Monty's.
Jim