Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   You high horsepower guys....... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67856-you-high-horsepower-guys.html)

Hot Duck 01-05-2004 12:25 AM

Lucky Strike: If the Hawk you are referring to is Hawk Power in Blountstown, Florida, steer clear of that place. Trust me on this one! Do a search for Hawk Power on this board and read some of the threads to get the stories. I unfortunately learned my lesson about them first hand, as did many others here on OSO.

Nykamp 01-05-2004 06:50 AM

CHIEF

Tommy is the man, I would go talk to him, he's in your area anyway. I know a bunch of guys with his power and they are all very happy. Steve

MIAMIBOYZ 01-05-2004 07:00 AM

Originally posted by lucky strike
Hawk told me $4000 per engine for 525 SC. If you need no parts.
THIS SOUNDS RIGHT,TO FRESH UP A MOTOR IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT IS BEING REPLACED FOR NEW.
THE PARTS ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE AND THE LABOR
IS ABOUT $4000.00 TO PUT ONE TOGEHTER.CALL TOMMY
AT CHIEFS YOU CANT GO WRONG 954-587-3020

WickedWon 01-05-2004 07:06 AM

Back To Reality

Originally posted by SLINGSHOT
250-300 hrs

out of 1200 hp

I'm doing my best to keep my mouth shut, but if by some miracle a 1200hp engine makes it to 300 hrs :rolleyes: it won't be producing any where near 1200hp.....the valve seats and valve train won't be holding any cylinder pressure and the boost will be down to nothing, ya know, blower strips ? Mercury's 900SC re-build schedule and pricing is the reality of big blower motors. When you go over 800 REAL hp ( not cause it says it on the " dyno" sheets but cause the boat goes as fast as the HP, gear ratio, prop and weight equation says it should ) longevity really suffers.

I know I know, facts tend to kill the buzz but I've written way to many checks to some of the best builders :eek: Mercs 900's build the advertised hp and therefore require the "maintenance" to go with it.

outer42 01-05-2004 09:19 AM

thanks wicked won,I was thinking i was the only one writing those checks. fun isn't it?

sgrady 01-05-2004 12:04 PM

Re: Back To Reality

Originally posted by WickedWon
I'm doing my best to keep my mouth shut, but if by some miracle a 1200hp engine makes it to 300 hrs :rolleyes: it won't be producing any where near 1200hp.....the valve seats and valve train won't be holding any cylinder pressure and the boost will be down to nothing, ya know, blower strips ? Mercury's 900SC re-build schedule and pricing is the reality of big blower motors. When you go over 800 REAL hp ( not cause it says it on the " dyno" sheets but cause the boat goes as fast as the HP, gear ratio, prop and weight equation says it should ) longevity really suffers.

I know I know, facts tend to kill the buzz but I've written way to many checks to some of the best builders :eek: Mercs 900's build the advertised hp and therefore require the "maintenance" to go with it.

Agree with the valve train and stripping the blowers. Blowers depend on the manufacture of the blower. That is normal maintenance on that type of motor. I have seen 250-300 (Bottom End) if taken care of and yes they lose performance. I too have spent way too much in repairs of shotty equipment and bad design.

As far as the Amsoil, I have ran the Amsoil as much as 25 hours but do change filters no more than 12. Just my way of making sure.

Again I would suggest Tommy if I was looking for a new set.