Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake noise regulation? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67930-smith-mountain-lake-noise-regulation.html)

mlitefan 01-05-2004 06:46 PM

Jay, Gina and I will most likely be heading down to the Keys in early August/late July. Our 20 year wedding anniversary is in August and she really wants to head down there.

I wonder if I can talk her into the rally instead??? Hmmm:D

As for pushing the SML run later into the season, I agree that it would be a bad idea. While the lake has a lot of shoreline, it really gets narrow in some spots. They get some pretty big boats out there and I think it would be a recipe for disaster.

Looks like I better get that Sunsation Jacket I have been looking at!!!:cool:

BAJA WILL 01-05-2004 09:15 PM

OK OK OK,

Yea the SMLA is and has been doing their best to make life ****ty for us on SML. Their a bunch of *****y, old, *******s that want to ban anything with a motor, except their pontoon boat. As for getting a ticket, you won't get a ticket as long as you have "baffles" on your exhaust, and the game wardens count the rubber flaps as baffles. I personally had a discussion with the Game Wardens about this and they don't even have the equipment to enforce any noise law if they wanted to.

As for the run being so early in the season, it is because we have allot of idiots on our lake that will cut you off during warm season:D

Oh yea the weather has been crappy for like the past 3 years, thus I don't even enter anymore, I go down to the Lake Murray run. However if you do want to bracve it I will host the OSO GATHERING on the Friday usually 2pm until ???

WILL:p

rbtnt 01-05-2004 11:07 PM

I towed 8 hours the last two years to run in the rain and planning to do it again this year. We ran last year until I lost a lifter and then we finished with the truck like a lot of others did.

The Friday night party is great and Will did a fantastic job hosting the Friday afternoon get together.

See you guys there.

Will, do they count wet headers as being baffled?:D

Sea Ya 01-06-2004 01:27 PM

A later date would be helpful. It conflicts with bike week in Myrtle Beach. Weather in May is iffy in Virginia, but fine in South Carolina.

jspeeddemon 02-10-2004 05:09 PM

My understanding from area participants in the poker run, if you add some cheap rubber flappers to the exhaust for the run, they will preclude you from a ticket, as Will mentioned.

excursion 02-10-2004 09:26 PM

I will say that the pre-party at Will's has made the last two years poker-run worth going too. So what do you have planned for us this year, I'll bring a box of beads!!!
See you on Friday, May 21, sometime in the afternoon, save me my parking space.

James

jspeeddemon 03-08-2004 02:30 PM

Any update on the noise regulation on Smith Mountain. Who's planning to attend the Poker Run this year?

mlitefan 03-08-2004 09:12 PM

I am attending along with a buddy of mine with a 28 Heat...

I just have to laugh my tail off...I came across this tonight..

Saturday demonstrated the extremes of Smith Mountain water sports: 11 tiny Sunfish raced while dozens of grotesquely overpowered motor boats shattered the tranquility of the lake in the annual "Poker Run" event. There is no doubt that 40- multi-engined powerboats are suitable for large bays and the ocean, but they fit in on Smith Mountain Lake about well as a tractor-trailer on a golf course. These are the only boats that should be named "Wet Dream".
http://www.roanoke.com/smithmountain...dner/1218.html

BAJA WILL 03-09-2004 12:45 PM

Rbtnt, yea for the baffles just buy a pair or two of the rubber flaps, for your exhaust Oh and you do need water coming through it or they will harass you.

James,
I feel a great summer coming on, I am ordering a MOMO wheel like yours for this summer, got to have it.

As for the OSO preparty yes it is on rain, shine or snow:p I may try to do a Marti Gras theme for the OSO party, and kick off the weekend with a Hurricane:crazy: I will be there from Noon on. If any new OSO ers need directions we are at marker B-23 on Blackwater river.

Oh and some of you have pics of years past please post them!!!

Kick summer off

WILL:p

Reckless32 03-09-2004 03:40 PM

If you find yourself not going or would simply like to try one of the newest and best "bang for the buck" runs in these times of high insurance/gas prices, come to Virginia Beach the weekend of August 6-8 for the Little Creek Regatta/HRPA Chesapeake Bay Poker Run. A snap shot of the event goes like this:

The only multiple boating type event in the mid-Atlantic, possibly the entire east coast, that involves a sailboat regatta; two-class poker run; and fishing tournament. There will be two organized parties, one on Friday night and one on Saturday night after the events. Saturday afternoon before the party, there will be an interim Margaritaville setup hosted by the local Parrothead chapter while folks hang around the docks and talk about the run. Live bands for both party's Here's the kicker. It's only $175 ($150 if entered prior to June 1st) which includes one poker hand; 4 shirts; 4 lunch tickets; and 4 entry's to both party's. Can't beat that with a stick. Schedule is as follows:
1) Friday 5-10pm Captains meeting/party.
2) 10am poker run kickoff.
3) 12-1:30pm lunch at Hooters at Waterside Norfolk.
4) 3pm Margaritaville starts
5) 5-10pm awards party.
6) Day run for a leisurely raftup at the eastern shore tiki-bar.

Poker Run has six stops for the go-fast class with 5 stops for the "cruiser/family boat" class. Go-fast course runs approximately 100 miles to include an Atlantic leg; Chesbay leg; Elizabeth River leg; back across the bay to the finish/party point. Overnight slips are plentiful adjacent to the party's.

You can go to www.littlecreekregatta.org for more info and to download the application. You can also go to our club site for the link. The site is continuing to update itself with more and more info as we go along. I'll be writing up a more informative post in the poker run post in the Poker Run forum. Or you can PM me if you'd like.