Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake noise regulation? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67930-smith-mountain-lake-noise-regulation.html)

mlitefan 01-05-2004 10:14 AM

Smith Mountain Lake noise regulation?

Anyone have any info other than what is posted at their site? I am going to enter into the poker run in May and saw some changes at the SMLBA site.

http://www.smlba.com/

OldSchool 01-05-2004 10:24 AM

Dang, I wanted to do this run in the cold and rain this year.:D :D They have had bad luck with the weather the last couple of years, slap some noise violation tickets on top of that and maybe next year they can have a pontoon poker run!!

mlitefan 01-05-2004 10:37 AM

I was wondering if they are just going to "warn" those with exhaust that go above the limit or will they actually fine you? I will dig and see what I can find out. I added headers at the end of last summer and am not sure if I will be above that level or not. Never really checked so I have no idea.

As for the weather, that time of the year is so hit or miss around here. I usually spend Memorial day weekend at Buggs Island but don't think I will be this year. Water is too high and odds are, it's going to rain!:mad:

clearcut3 01-05-2004 10:45 AM

I went to this run with some friends last year. It has the potential to be a GREAT poker run. Everything was set up very nice for the entire weekend (Friday night party was great).

We have decided not to attend this year because the 53 degrees and rain last year was just too much for that long of a tow. If this noise violation is enforced we definitely would have to take a different boat this year:rolleyes:

Noise violations SUCK!! If you buy a house by an airport don't b*tch about the planes...if you buy one on a lake don't b*tch about boats!

DENNYB 01-05-2004 10:45 AM

mlitefan, give Mark a call at Shoreline Marina and he can give you a heads up on the noise laws in the area. Mark will be more than happy to talk with you. His # is1-540-721- 3664.

mlitefan 01-05-2004 11:26 AM

Denny, that is exactly what I was going to do. I am only about an hour and a half, two at the most from him. Glad to see him on board as a new Sunsation Dealer!

dreamboater 01-05-2004 11:47 AM

I was trying to talk my Dad into this run this year but like everyone always says the weather is cold and rainy every year. With noise violations he really wont go, dry exhaust + 1000KE = loud. Why not push it a little later in the year? I have been to the lake and it is really nice but that time a year is touch and go.

clearcut3 01-05-2004 12:43 PM

Originally posted by dreamboater
I was trying to talk my Dad into this run this year but like everyone always says the weather is cold and rainy every year. With noise violations he really wont go, dry exhaust + 1000KE = loud. Why not push it a little later in the year? I have been to the lake and it is really nice but that time a year is touch and go.
We asked several people the same last year and the consensus was that the lake was just too crowded once summer starts to hold the event with the large boats and some of the speeds the were afraid they would see:rolleyes: . They won't have to worry if it's 53 and raining :D

But like I stated earlier, if the weather is good, it will be a great one to go to.

Gizmo 01-05-2004 01:16 PM

Hey Larry, We aren't going to Buggs for Memorial weekend either. The last two years cured me! Instead, we are planning to go to the Tidewater Yacht marina the weekend of July 4th and then go to Buggs for the remainder of the week. Maybe some of the Carolina gang will come up. I will bring that up at the Chillout.
Have you given any thought to going to the Sunsation Rally? John and I have talked about it. It's the 23rd-25th of July. Thinking about leaving on the Thursday, early am. It's about a 12-13 hour drive.:)

Sydwayz 01-05-2004 03:43 PM

To my knowledge, no one was hassled for noise last year. It was way early in the season, which attributes the lousy weather. Hopefully, this year will clear up. Hell, we had 70* in January already.

There were several BIG BIG power boats there last year.
rbtnt of OSO has a big loud twin Eliminator.
There was a 37 staggered OL with probably twin 1100s. He actually lost an engine at Bridgewater Plaza.
Also a 37 Talon, which took top looking boat honors, also big power.
Not to mention the host marina's Donzi 38ZR which was loud too.

I would not abort due to noise worries, but also, please do not send any tickets to me. :D :D