Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1970 El Camino as tow vehicle? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68039-1970-el-camino-tow-vehicle.html)

Strip Poker 388 01-06-2004 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my rear end on my 70 Chevelle . It has the air bags .I only put air in the right one at the track about 15 psi .They stiffen the rear up pretty good. on the street I put about 5 psi in both..You can put the polyurethane bushings, Napa also makes some heavy duty springs for it.. Variable rates.You can also put so no hop bars on it and it will help on the traction.You may have to put some weight in the back for the ramps. Your going to need a trans cooler also.I think the SS cars came with the rear sway bars.The SS usually had a12 bolt pos- 3.73 gear or opt. was 4.10. I always wanted one to pull the my Chevelle around . Paint them the same would be pretty cool.

Good luck
rob

deboatmon 01-07-2004 08:13 AM

I towed a pretty heavy, old 22 ½ ft Sleekcraft jet boat for years with a 69 El Camino. Mine had a fairly mild 454 with 350 turbo automatic. The real key for this package is limited slip differential and possibly some rear end wheel weight. My Camino did not make a real good tow/launch vehicle until I converted to limited slip rear end. I also did some pretty minor suspension mods to firm everything up and ended up with a great tow vehicle. In stock form, I would be cautious where I launced and take care of steep and slippery ramps.

georges 01-07-2004 08:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.
It seems the Pantera, at around 4000 lbs, would be too much for it and I really don't want to abuse it!
I will probably have to get some kind of "real" truck for this.

rchevelle71 01-07-2004 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
George,

Yeah, it would look cool, Here is a pic of what I "USED" to do, that is why I suggest NOT to do it. Now, come on everyone, stop pickin on the minivan, that is what I was left with after the divorce. The camino would have plenty of power to pull it, its just the ramps, and if you want to make some long hauls. As far as the Samoans in the back, it really doesnt take much extra tongue weight to get it up the ramp, with this setup, when I got stuck at 14th. street, John LLoyd, and Deerfield, I just found a 200 pound guy in the lot, had him stand on the tongue, and we were on our way. But you will be labeled, as "the idiot puliin that huge boat with the car" by the locals. If you want the "retro" look to go with the boat, get an old chevy pickup, and paint it to match.....

NOW THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!!!!!!!

georges 01-07-2004 11:03 AM

Originally posted by rchevelle71
George,

If you want the "retro" look to go with the boat, get an old chevy pickup, and paint it to match.....

NOW THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I like that.