If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sauk City, WI
    I am waiting for a call from my doctor's office to find out if image guided injection is the way they do it. I have had an MRI that shows herniation of the L5-S1 disc.

Mr. Demeaner I work for the UW Hospital but have been seen by my local Dr and Ortho surgeon. If they don't use the image guide I will be calling the UW Spine clinic as soon as I get off the phone with the local surgeon.

Thanks Matt

Mr. Demeanor
    Go see UW anyway. Two heads are better than one. MY $.02. My guess would be that UW will have more insight into new procedures. That being said, I would rather start at a place like that then go there after being treated elswhere. Im fused at two levels and alot of mistakes were made along the way. I am now at patient at the Loyola Medical Center where I just had surgery 2 weeks ago to fix a scar on my abdomen that never heald correctly. The place was top notch. The only thing to be aware of is that you may have a resident acualy doing your surgery under the guidance of a teaching Dr. if you go to a teaching hospital. Ive had 6 spine surgeries. If you ever want to talk, shoot me an email at [email protected]

My Boats:
    '88 Formula F-206 LS
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Prior to my surgery I had to go through a series of pain management sessions in the L4-L5 region. The doc ordered three sessions of cortisone injections. Three injections per session which included three novocaine injections prior to the cortisone. That's right, 6 needles per session. The pain doc used a fluoroscope to guide a flexible needle to the affected nerves.
    First treatment I almost passed out. Second was ok. After the third I wanted to kill the pain doc.
    After all that, the shots didn't really work.

Hope your goes better.

Platinum Member Platinum Member mjpcowboy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2017 Nor-Tech 34 Sport
    You do not need to go to a facility several hours away to have this done. Any radiology department at a good hospital has Radiologists that can do Fluro guided injections into the disc space. Avoid surgery at all costs. Disc material will often re-absorb with enough time which will in fact cure the problem. Injections do not just mask the problem they often can get you through the pain from the inflamation and allow the disc to heal.
    Best of luck!

After reading all this you are probably sorry you asked. Good luck to you.

Sauk City, WI
    I have learned that the Hospital in town does not use Fluro guided procedure. I canceled my appointment until I can schedule with the UW may take longer but I think I will feel more comfortable with better accuracy in needle placement. It's only a 30 minute drive to the UW and I drive it everyday for work so no big deal there.

Thanks for all the input

Mr. Demeanor
    Sounds like your not sorry you asked. My steroid shots were a breeze and I had alot of them. The only other advice I can give you is that you can scare yourself to death if you start researching this on the internet. You must remember that the people who recover and do well, are never heard from again. That makes what you will find on the net overhelmingly negative. Keep it in mind.

Twin screws
    I had injections for my back as well. It usually takes more than one. It's important that you take it easy for a while and let it have time to work. I felt better to quickly and went right back to work. Big mistake. Best of luck to you.

Offshoreonly Advertiser Offshoreonly Advertiser
    My Boats:
    spring valley,ny usa
    Do a search on the internet for Dr. Frank Cammisa.I realize that he is in New York,but take a look at his credentials.I have many friends and relatives that this man his treated with positive results.

Charter Member
    My Boats:
    Baja 322 - Twin 540's
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi Matt,

In addition to owning Triad Performance Marine, I am also part owner in a Chiropractic & Rehabilitation Clinic. I am not the Doctor(that is my partner), but we have lot's of experience dealing with herniated discs and have been able to successfully treat most through non-invasive procedures, traction, and rehabilitation.

Injections do work like they are supposed to, but your just treating the symptoms not the problem; none the less if the pain has become unbearable you have no choice.

Please keep in mind, there are other options available may need to do a little research and possibly get a second opinion, but you do have alternatives to injections.

FYI - In our clinic, we offer traction with FDA approved protocols, complete rehabilitation with a licensed therapist, and if necessary Manipulation Under Anesthesia(a non-invasive surgical procedure) to treat discs injuries.

The reason I mention this is because sometimes Doctors decide on a course of action for like injuries and neglect to discuss other options, especially if it means referring them to another physician.

Of course this is just my opinion...good luck.

Don Baca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast