Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best 28' performance boat for rough water? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68355-best-28-performance-boat-rough-water.html)

SS930 01-10-2004 08:12 PM

What makes them so good in the rough?

LEOPAJM 01-10-2004 08:16 PM

Originally posted by MrOffshore
This is a bold statement, but absolutely factual:

There is no 28' boat, cat or V that will touch a batboat in rough water...it's just that simple. Those of you who have never been in one need not reply!

Well then .... I guess I "need not reply" then . There is one hitch in your statement however ... Part of the equation to running a smaller (28 or ???) boat in rough water is Having BALLS enough to let her rip !!! The boat don't drive itself . You better not have some candy azz runnin that Batboat up against any "28' boat, cat or V"

Right dude ?;)

LEOPAJM 01-10-2004 08:23 PM

Originally posted by MrOffshore
It is a bold statement, but like Reindl, one I'd be willing to back with a lot of money...I certainly don't see anyone with a Saber or any other boat looking to take Reindl or myself up on our offer.

If there is anyone out there that thinks they have some bad ass rough water 28', here's your chance to make a quick 10K.

I guess in the end you really know what's real and what isn't based on who's willing to put there money where there mouth is.

I remember when I thought my 29' Fountain was the ****...I talked trash all the time...I was always willing to back it up...won some and lost some. But with the bat, there's simply no losing in rough water unless you sustain a mechanical failure.

OK .... Here we go ......

who wants to let me "borrow" their 28 for a weekend this summer ?????

:rolleyes:

Steve_H 01-10-2004 08:26 PM

Originally posted by LEOPAJM
OK .... Here we go ......

who wants to let me "borrow" their 28 for a weekend this summer ?????

:rolleyes:

you can borrow mine as long as you drop in enough power to outrun a batboat ..............and leave it in when your done ;)

C_Spray 01-10-2004 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Nauti Kitty
....why does it seem people think bat boats are immune from the problem all other 24 and 28' offshore boats suffer from in big water?....NK
I'm convinced that it's the aerodynamics. I know from experience that they are VERY resistant to pitching either up or down. That doesn't mean that you can't get one out of shape - It's just hard to do, and the boat tends to self-correct. By staying flat, it's easier to keep on the throttle. Running them with a DPX at a low X-dimension helps keep the power hooked up, too. The picture below seems pretty dramatic evidence (not necessarily "proof") of this inherent stability. (Yeah, yeah - I KNOW that's a 24 and not a 28, but that just makes my point even stronger.) Does ANYONE have a picture of a BatBoat flying either nose-up or nose-down? Maybe they're not "immune", but they are certainly "resistant" to "the problem".

MrOffshore - I knew I could count on you for the bold statements. ;)

C_Spray 01-10-2004 09:59 PM

Nice looking boat - very, very sweet. What power?

bob 01-10-2004 10:41 PM

The 26 Sutphen really hasn't been mentioned but they seem to do just fine in comparison to other 26-30' boats when the water gets a little nasty.

SS930 01-10-2004 10:48 PM

Originally posted by yellowbird
28 Apache has brand new HP600. say it does 84 in its "98" hull.
Based on the Avon boat, I'd say that's probably in the right ballpark. Maybe 1-3 mph on the optimistic side.

LOVE THE ALL WHITE!

WARPAINT 01-10-2004 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Bob
The 26 Sutphen really hasn't been mentioned but they seem to do just fine in comparison to other 26-30' boats when the water gets a little nasty.
Bob, stop living in the past.You have a 39 Sutphen with huge Eickert power.You cant play with the little guys anymore :p :D Go fight with someone your own size;)

SS930 01-10-2004 11:02 PM

Originally posted by SS930
Based on the Avon boat, I'd say that's probably in the right ballpark. Maybe 1-3 mph on the optimistic side.
I just realized that boat has a SINGLE HP600... no way IMHO. I was thinking twins, my bad.