Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best 28' performance boat for rough water? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68355-best-28-performance-boat-rough-water.html)

magnum27 01-19-2004 08:58 AM

Originally posted by yellowbird
Maybe if Magnum would just make a half a dozzen 27's they might just sell them?:eureka: They should make a couple and homoglate them for F1.they have the product. Even if they made that boat and brought it to the show.Or an older version.

Whats the difference between the hull bottoms on the 27 sport vrs the 27 starfire? is it just the decking and such? are the hull bottom the same?

I think with the sit down seats like Brain at Joker uses would be the hot ticket in the Mag. 27. keep the retro windscreen and just pad its molding. Get the seat height worked out in the Mag 27 (sitting down) and you got a rocketship on your hands.:eek: Or put this interior in a Mag 27, but only in red, pure red on a red hulled Mag. Then bring it to the boat shows, people will be on that boat like stink on ****.

You guy's are describing exactly what I am building right now. I have an old sport hull that I have put on a new 2003 starfire deck on that I got from the factory. The interior will be a three man high back bucket seating across the front and a bench in the back. I however converted it from a twin to a single Bravo with an I.T. S. transom assembly. The power is a 548 cubic inch big block. Right now I am working on putting the new Gell coat on the boat. It will be solid black with White and Red interior. Look for it soon as it will be raced in P-4 and hopefully a few magazines. You guys are going to love this thing. It will be raced under the "Pirate racing team"

magnum27 01-19-2004 01:04 PM

Originally posted by yellowbird
Hey. Magnum27.

I would love to see some photos of work in progress. I love what your doing to your 27, How was it working with Magnum Marine. When you ordered the deck, how long did it take them, how did it ship, ect...ect... and deck price if you don't mind me asking, any fittment problems???
thanks great post.

Well bird,

My boat started out as the "team Deranged boat that won the 2001 Championship for P5. Then I bought the hull stripped and brought it home. The deck was in poor shape and so was a couple of bulkheads. So I cut off the deck and replaced everything in the hull including the tanks. I got in touch with Magnum and for some reason they had this starfire deck that was a couple of months old and had not even been trimmed. I was able to get it for around eight thousand I believe and took a trailer from TN to Miami one weekend and picked it up. The guys down there were great. Well I brought it home and started the rebuild. I trimmed the deck, fitted it to the hull and used stainless screws all the way around every six inches and then glassed it all the way around the inside of the boat and across the front and back of each bulkhead. I had to fabricate the back seat for the new deck, The back bulkhead was replaced and made into a firewall. New are tunnels were made on each side. A new engine hatch was made with a tunnel ram. The bilge was completely changed and re glassed. I also made a unique console up front for the Navigator and throttle man. I also had to fabricate new vent plates for the tunnels on each side because Magnum did not have any nor the casting to make them. The hull was completely sanded and smoothed out and is starting the gel process,(No imron here) only gel coat will be used on the entire boat. Two layers of black and two layers of clear gellcoat and it will be awesome. There are not many boats out there that look good black but there is something special about a black Magnum, kind of a throw back to the smuggling days. I will get you some pics soon. Thanks for the interest.

Doller Offshore 01-19-2004 02:26 PM

I have a '78 Cigarette 28 you could have for a LOT less than $50k. Call Doller Marine!

powerguy 01-21-2004 10:19 AM

Looking at 1998 28 donzi - the one that prompted this post - 350 mag's with 330 hours - When would I have to plan to rebuild these motors? Any issues with 350 mag mpi's with bravo drives?

jafo 01-21-2004 11:03 AM

I have 320 hours on my AT with the same power package and have had zero issues.
I think the roller valve-train gives a great deal more longetivity on this engine than say the old 260's. Keep good, clean oil in them, do an occasional leakdown comp check to make sure they are in good health (I do every season), and they will last you a long time.
If you do a lot of cruising like we do, I think they will last a lot longer than if you do a lot of WOT. It certainly is not uncommon for a marine SBC to go 1000 hours+.
Hope this all works for you- we love ours, and get incredible economy for a twin set-up.:) You will be VERY hard-pressed to break a Bravo drive with those engines.
Jim

powerguy 01-21-2004 11:19 AM

Jafo-
I am planning to have a compression test next week. What is involved with the leakdown test? how long would it take a mrecruiser tech to do? Reason I ask is that they are $70 per hour.
Thanks

Ed 01-21-2004 08:48 PM

The 28' Sonic Origins...

Believe it or not, came from lengthening an old 24' Donzi hull. The proof of this is the rounded vee, just the same as all the other original old Donzi's. Ed:)

Reindl Powerboats 01-22-2004 07:13 PM

Interesting...

C_Spray 02-04-2004 08:28 PM

So:
Now that the dust has settled a little bit, is this deal really gonna take place? I did my part and mapped out the course a couple of pages back. Who will do the rest?

BJM's got me all psyched out with that monster motor he's rounding up, so I've gone and recruited a throttle man to help me out. His initials are BM, too, and he used to work out of the building where T'n'T is now...:p

WARPAINT 02-04-2004 09:05 PM

Chuck, just tell me when we should all meet at Turkey Point.;) You caught me on a good summer.Nothing like a fresh repower.

Come on spring!!

PS... Bobby S. give me a call on my cell, i think i might need a hand;) Preferably your right hand!