Notices

OT Computer Question

Old 01-11-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Computer Question

I have an old Dell PC (1998) it's a pent II but the hard drive is too small. I have done the impossible(for me) by taking the cover off, removing the Hard Drive (did'nt even need the hammer). What do I need to know about ordering a new better one ie: Sizetype that works and fits. Thanks Otto
Old 01-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You cant just change to a bigger hard drive.
EVERYTHING your computer has in it and does including how to turn on is on that hard drive.
What I did with mine is just add another one and turn it on.
Move all the stuff you want to save ontu the new hard drive and leave the operating system on the old one.
I have been told that the drive that crashes most often is the one with the OS on it.
that way all the important stuff will survive.
If you download music or pictures change the destination folder to the new drive.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a better computer... a p2 is old... if you aren't upgrading tinkerer is right just add another hard drive and keep your origional as the master with the os on it.

Ernie
Old 01-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Thanks Guys.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What size is the old one???
I went to BEST BUY and bought a Western Digital 80 GB and added it to my existing 40GB.
When you upgrade to a new bigger computer just buy it with a single hard drive and take the new drive from the old computer ( after you moved everything from the old computer onto it) and install it in the new computer.
WALA-- new computer - new OS -- ALL the old files and other stuff.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are just surfing the net and word processing a P2 is fine. There are other exteral hard drive options available. Do you have USB connections on the computer? They are small rectangular sockets in case you do not know. If you do, you can get and external USB drive and just plug it in and go.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:40 PM

I really just wanted more storage for pictures and photos.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: OT Computer Question

Originally posted by 36spectre
I have an old Dell PC (1998) it's a pent II but the hard drive is too small. I have done the impossible(for me) by taking the cover off, removing the Hard Drive (did'nt even need the hammer). What do I need to know about ordering a new better one ie: Sizetype that works and fits. Thanks Otto
Your options depend quite a bit on the operating systems which you are using. If windoz XP, you'd be best off to do a fresh install. XP does not always like to play nice with different major hardware like changing HD or mother boards. Your system may also be limited by support for large drives, many older systems cannot access drives larger than 30-40gb. This limitation may be overcome with bios update (check with Dell) or with HD manufacturer's software. I would stick with Western Digital or IBM as a manufacturer.

On the other hand, new "large" hard drives are dirt cheap these days, check at NewEgg.com. They currently have 80gb drive with 8mb buffer for $72.

Send me an e-mail if you need help.

Bill Reich
Team Extreme #30 SCL (30 Spectre)

PS: how do you like the 36? we're thinking of building a new 32 this winter......
Old 01-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Registered

36.. .You could just pop in a new HD and run the recovery CDs if you have them or you will have to reinstall everything from scratch including the operating system. You can get a quality HD from Tigerdirect.com (Maxtor or Western Digital.) With that kind of power, do not go overboard with a 80 GB hd. You are just gonna slow things down. . Matter of fact I am currently rebuilding a DELL Dimension V 350 (PII 350) for a friend of mine. This thing is not so shabby if you have a good internet connection.. Call me @ 305 378 7759 tomorrow and I can give you some advice if you like
Old 01-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Registered

So far Team 30 wins the prize. He's right, the bios probably won't handle a large drive. I forget wether it's 20 or 40GB limit. The easiest way to upgrade would be to leave the machine in operating condition, get the service tag number off it, go to Dell's site and enter the service tag number. This will give you a run down on everything the machine originally shipped with. Then there is a tool on the site that you run, and it will query your machine, and tell you if it will support the O/S you want to upgrade to. Then go to their downloads page, and see if there's a bios update for your machine. Download that, and all the drivers you will need for the O/S you want to go to. Then I would flash the bios with the update (simple procedure). Then, If you want to do an upgrade of your current O/S, install the new drive as a slave, and ghost the old drive to the new one. Now you have a clone of the old drive on the new drive. Remove the old drive, set the new one as the master, and reboot. Your machine will never know the difference. From here you can do an upgrade of your current O/S. If you want to do a fresh install, forget everything after flashing your bios. Just put in the new drive and install the O/S. You'll need the drivers you downloaded. sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad. Your machine should support Win 2K no problem. I doubt XP will work. I've done many Dells like this.

Paul