Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   (OT) Help!! Cracked CD!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68920-ot-help-cracked-cd.html)

FunHome 01-14-2004 03:58 PM

(OT) Help!! Cracked CD!!!

Help!! I just cracked the CD that I had stored all of our Family's Christmas Photo's on!!! I was taking it out of it's holder so I could print off some pictures for my mother and it cracked from the center out about a inch long.

When I put it into my Computer it sounds like it try's to start be nothing happens???

I found a few places on the WEB that specialize in CD Recovery but none of them are close to me and I don't know where to send it??

Has anyone ever done this??? Any help would be great!!

:( :( :(

Cord 01-14-2004 04:01 PM

I highly recommend you start watching MythBusters! :D

97BossHammer 01-14-2004 04:11 PM

I've recovered some but i guess it depends on how big a crack it is. Probably toast if it's not pulling up anything. Try another PC also....maybe it's just your drive that won't pull it up now.

HyperBaja 01-14-2004 04:15 PM

Your whats it called is done.... Cds are read from in to out. The directory I guess it could be called will be done, making the disk theoretically empty, but still physically full.

mcollinstn 01-14-2004 09:33 PM

No, if that is the only copy, a data pro can salvage most of the info on it. Tommy is right - they are read from the inside out.

This means that a conventional CD drive will not read it. You will have to find somebody with a drive than can be "steered" to a start point.

Sorry for your problems, but CD's are what, 8 cents? Shoulda made several and given them to relatives to keep.

robyw1 01-15-2004 02:29 PM

If the crack is clean you might try to find a friend with a very high quality CD-ROM and it is possible that it could read it. This was the worst possible place it could have cracked.

I have successfully recovered data from formatted hard drives, zip discs and slightly damaged CDs but never one that was cracked from the inside out. Data recovery experts might be able to do it but they are very expensive. I don't mind trying to recover the data for you at no charge but I got to tell you being cracked from the middle out it is not very likely that I can recover some of the data if any.

Roby

robyw1 01-15-2004 02:33 PM

might want to take a close-up hi-res picture of the crack and send it to me. If I can't do it I can reccomend a place.

Roby

Caincando1 01-15-2004 02:54 PM

I highly recommend you start watching MythBusters!
Lets attach a CD to the shaft of a high speed router. I love that show. Where can I get a job like that?

Brian

Audiofn 01-15-2004 04:03 PM

Try a DVD rom but the info that is inside the cracked area is gone for good. Hopefully you emailed or sent some of those pictures out to people.

Jon

FunHome 01-19-2004 12:28 PM

Thanks Guy's for you advise and honesty. I realize that I probably lost just about all the pictures, but I though I would ask anyway!! I'm new to this digital picture thing since I just got the camera at Christmas.
Yes, I should have made more copies
Yes, I should not have procrastinated and printed the picture's already.
Unfortunately I didn't do either, and several of my families memorable Christmas pictures were on that CD. I'm comfortable with spending up to $100.00 to try and retrieve what I can!!
I will try and take a good picture of the crack this afternoon!!
Thanks again!!