Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
High Back Seats in a 35 Fountain >

High Back Seats in a 35 Fountain

Notices

High Back Seats in a 35 Fountain

Old 01-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone near Fountain525sc... that can help him on this project???
Old 01-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's got to be someone???????
Old 01-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option might be a sort of hybrid between the front and back seats of a Skater. The 36 On The Prowl has these rear seats that kind of hug you as you slide into them. There are foam pieces that wrap toward each other in front of the seat. You push the pieces apart and slide in, then they close back in front of you. If your bolsters or a Skater style bucket was modified in this way and recovered in matching vinyl it would give you support without the need for harnesses. Depending on the foam density I suspect it would hold considerable weight in place. I bet if you contact Skater they could send you some pics and specs on how they do it and any good upholstery shop should be able to make them up.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Registered

INSPTECH,

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have to go to some sort of high back simply b/c the bolsters offer very little high back support which I'll need. I like the sounds of that possibility for the rear seats though!!

Keep 'em coming, thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Registered

I would Central Power and Rigging at LOTO.
Once you have the seat configuration you want, those guys can definitely handle the rigging part!
I don't know if you have considered it, but what about removing the seat and putting a place to fasten your chair? Just like in the vans they build.
As far as controls, I would think someone could build what you want. Think outside the box.
I have seen even drag race cars that were set up for disabled. Very cool.
Good luck, and I want to see you on the water when it's done!!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Registered

Don't have any great words of advice, but maybe some of encouragement. My father is also paralyzed from a stroke. With modifications to his boat, he drives his Formula on LOTO. I'll see him this weekend, and tell him of your quest, and see if that old diesel mechanic has any good ideas.

You also need to consider how you will get in the seat. Could a "lazy susan" between the seat and the base help? You'd need to lock it in place while running of course.

Also, if you are not a salt water boater, why not get good quality electric car seats? They would allow much adjustment for different conditions and drivers, and some have an armrest that fold up. Might make getting in the seat easier, and then the armrest would help hold you in.

THIS JUST IN: Told my wife of what you're trying, and she suggested Class 8 truck seat, with air ride suspension to absorb the roughness.

Good luck with this.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered

Ryan,
I believe Complete Mobility Systems in Lenexa is an authorized handicap accessory installer. They may have some thoughts on how to customize a seat for you.

I would think the most important features would be the power seat movement (up, down, front, back) so that you could get into the right position. Since you have arm movement, the arm rests may not be as important as the upper body lateral support. I know of a really good stainless steel and aluminum welder in Merriam if anything needs to be fabricated.

I would also be willing to help mock something up out of wood if it helped in the design and evaluation phase.

Good luck. Hope to see you driving and throttling this summer.
Doug
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

SummerObsession,
Do you have a name of who to contact there and their number? I will hopefully be at least riding shotgun by the end of this summer. I just need to get into gear b/c all of this is going to help me in my desire to run in some poker runs as well as hopefully try to get one at the Ozarks.

Chart,
Thanks for the advice, I like the idea your wife had, I had considered that too. It looks like there are a lot of options out there, its just figuring out what will work best. I'm sorry to hear about your father, I wish you all nothing but the best.

Waterbum,
I've never heard of them. I have an accessible van and I'm sure they might be able to help. I hope to see everyone out this summer!!!

Thanks again for all the help. Everyone here makes you feel like you're family............
Old 01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 01-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

ttt

Quick Reply: High Back Seats in a 35 Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.