Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ride in a 22' Velocity - Yipes!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/68950-ride-22-velocity-yipes.html)

velocity22 01-16-2004 02:30 PM

C spray I have a 22 velocity with a pro max 300 and I can tell you this the setup and drivers skill is the key to make this boat fly. In 1987 when I bought my Velocity it was running 66mph with one of the old 3.4 litre 300's. Over the years I added a Bobs 6"jackplate,a 6"setback plate,Hydraulic Steering,a foot throttle,a pro max 300,a reshaped sportmaster lower unit and mucho props. Finally with the engine jacked 1" above the pad and with a 27" trophy we turn 83mph. Cord ,the only time I really seem to get a lot of chine walking is when I bury the engine too deep. Lets get together this summer. Frank

Cord 01-16-2004 03:10 PM

Originally posted by velocity22
Lets get together this summer.

Absolutly! 262-243-9663

OldSchool 01-16-2004 03:35 PM

Originally posted by C_Spray
On a semi-related note, was the Challenger hull based on/similar to this Velocity hull?
It does kind of look like that's the case here. Maybe it was a splash job.:cool:

Rippem 01-16-2004 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A foot throttle and wheel trim are the ticket on the i/o boats as well. We've done the "hot" small block, the healthy BB, and the first one '93 with a twin turbo small block. ;) The turbo boat was awesome once you got upstairs :eek:. Boat would run low/mid 90's straight as an arrow but yes you do have to drive through some b/s @ about 75 mph. The n/a small block boat was a blast...we used to run with some pretty big boats @ 80 up to about a 2 1/2 -3 footer. That boat was a driver's machine as it's top speed was just above the squirrel zone so to run and screw with bigger boats you really had to have you Velocity hat on...we did and....we did. All the time, love those boats! :D :D ;) Here's the N/A SB boat.

Escape Velocity 01-16-2004 04:38 PM

When I was first learning to drive my former 22' Velocity with modified big block power, I had both a Hydromotive and Bravo 1 prop. My preference for all around acceleration, midrange efficiency and stability is the Bravo 1.

My biggest mistake was trimming the drive too conservatively. I thought by having the trim tabs level and drive nearly level, I would have a stable ride. Wrong! The boat was twitchy. Each speed had its own best trim setting for stable riding. I could drive mine 80 on GPS with finger tip control (Imco hydraulic steering) when trimmed up almost to the trim limit (not trailering) position. It seemed to push the transom down hard on the pad which eliminated chine walking. I'm not a daredevil driver - I like to have the boat in control and for my passengers/family to feel secure. Learning proper trim transformed our experience. Unless I was in a full out sprint with another boat, I left my trim tabs at level. I had mechanical tab indicators to know where they were at at all times.

Rippem 01-16-2004 04:55 PM

The bravo is all around, a hydro is generally faster and requires more driver input. It's a shame really that all these step bottom boats are eliminating trimming talent and therefor a connection with the bottom of the boat. They are set it at nuetral and forget it. Velocity will teach you alot about feeling the boat and seeing the bottom hydrodynamically in your mind. Your right about the trim...and from what some of the greats on this board have said "a properly designed bottom loves trim" and they do! On of Steve's biggest issues with novices and naysayers is that they don't have the hair to drive through the transition and get the boat up high...on the pad where it belongs and the ride zone is! You'll hear all kinds of rebuttals until a talented velocity driver with less power or in a smaller boat tows your ass. Very few have the hair to go there! :D Recreationally I have done crazy things with his boats and it is suprising how safe they are and how well they recover for feeling so loose . :)

bermudaboy 01-16-2004 05:52 PM

I have finally got my LH gearcase and hope go for a ride on Monday. Are you guys saying that all I have to do is keep the sticks to the firewall? The boat is a lot of fun and with the new props 85+ is not out of reach.

22 Velocity w 2 x 200 Merc

Cheers,

Andy

Ed 01-16-2004 07:09 PM

What Rippem Said...

Is unfortuneately true. The Velocity hull design is not necessarily for the average boater that has no performance boat experience. And therefore, some people that pilot them for the first time(or second, or third) give them a bad rating. Steve Stepps background was in racing small Allisons(pad bottom), etc...where everyone should start in my opinion, where you learn set-up on a smaller scale & every little change is critical. This is where I learned also...with Checkmates, Allisons, Hydrostreams & Actions & then on to tunnels. On the other subject of the Bravo's X-demension...On most any performance Vee-hull, whether it is a single engine package or a twin engine package(pad or no pad)...A new low-water pick-up Bravo drive should be installed at a minimum of 18 1/2" or higher. What was the X-demension on the 22' Velocity I/O in question? Gar

Kent Perroux 01-16-2004 07:28 PM

The "Yee-Ha" in the pictures X-dim is 21.5"

Escape Velocity 01-16-2004 09:10 PM

Rippem and Ed ....loved your messages. They captured the FUN in driving this boat! The Velocity 22' is a piece of cake compared to my old Hydrostream air-entrapment hull.