Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where did all the Chris Cats go? >

Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Notices

Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell the guy with the 1400 HP twin turbos HE'S CRAZY! I hope he has a will. The boat

Hey I just build them! I already figured it will top top 150 if the boat and driver are foolish enough. The boat is being set up to accelerate quickly so that the he can be far enough ahead of the competition that he will hopefully never have to run all that fast. Time will tell.
Steven Schmidt
Competitive Edge Marine
954-564-0015
Old 01-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

hi-perf-2000, here is a scan of the interior out of a 1985 Chris Craft brochure. Its not all that great of a pic but its better than I could get with my boat inside a dim lit garage.
Attached Thumbnails Where did all the Chris Cats go?-chris-cat-interior.jpg  
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flashback,

Thanx for the info. I will make sure to get a complete inspection including moisture. I would be foolish not to on a 20 year old hull. What type of power and set up do you have on your Chris? Pics? Speed and cruise numbers? Do tell.

Fastwhitecat: Nice setup. Reminds me of the old "Inter-oceanic bahamian transportation services" setup the guys used to run, four outboards and 300 gallons of fuel :-)

And Steve: I still think your customer needs a will!!!!

Whirly
Old 01-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whirly-
I have a friend who lives near New Orleans. He has a pair of 1,200 hp+ (14-71 blown 600"+) in his old Shadow Cat called Hot Pursuit. Uses _1-1_ ratio in the #3 drives (non crescent), 12" setback boxes and 3 blade props. He's run 155 plus in that thing. And No: I won't ride with him> But he claims it's a blast and rides great: even when almost the whole boat _lifts_ out of the water and basically rides on the props.

I guess I'm getting old, but just the thought of that scares the _____ out of me!!!
Due
Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Dueclaws,

What's amazing is that the 3's live with that much grunt. Even though the boat is relatively light (compared to a 38 cig or similar with same power) I would still think it would be difficult to keep the equipment together.

Question is: At a buck and a half, what could he be in hot pursuit of? An airplane?

I have been thinking alot about this. What I would really like to do is find an old, beat up 32 skater, open cockpit, and put a couple of small blocks in it making 640 - 650 HP. 4's or 5's on boxes. A basic replica of Alan and Kirk's Agitator. Aluminum heads and intake, a light setup well balanced. 120 MPH max. That's the boat I would like to build.

A friend of mine has a mid-ninties 32 open cockpit (outboard boat) for sale. No power, just a shell pretty much stripped. Still a hair pricey but tempting. The goal is to build that boat for not a dime more than 60K. It can be done. There was a 32 skater for sale last year with 4's on the back, no power, asking 39K. It was traded to a guy in Wisconsin for a pair of new #6's, drives only. That should put the value at about 35K? Another 25k in power, 5K in headers and misc. and bam.

I figure if I look long enough I will find my project boat.

Whirlygig
Old 01-26-2004, 08:09 PM
merlin540

Default AGITATOR

I now own the agitator and i still have the united racing engine small blocks. i will sell them if your interested call me 513-477-2780 charlie amann look at the agitator now at www.agitatoroffshore.com;) i also own a 31 american offshore with blower motors it runs 125 see ya

Last edited by merlin540; 01-26-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Registered

Charlie,

You own my boat! Man I love that boat. I was racing APBA back when Alan and Kirk were running OPT. I always wanted to race with those guys but it seemed we were always running different sanctioning bodies. It was great to watch those guys go out race after race and beat up on everyone else. Ton's of talent and nerves of steel. I felt bad that Kirk had to nominate himself for one of the best throttlemen of all times. If he hadn't done it, I would have. Every year OPT would slap another restriction on them and every year they would win again, true talent.

I was going to ask you to post all the info on their old stroker small blocks but it would be easier if I just give you a call. Feel free to post the info anyway, there may be others out there that are interested, if not, I will ring you tomorrow.

Lance
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
merlin540

its funny i had the same problems racing that boat. skater makes a great boat

Old 01-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Registered

Whirlygig

My Chris Cat has 540ci bowtie blocks @650hp that are naturally aspirated and built by Lingenfelter. I am running #2 speedmasters with 17 x 31 three blade cleavers. She runs out @105 on GPS around 5400rpm I think. Its starts to do the infamous porpoise, better know as the George Linder hop per: T2x @ 92mph and goes away @100mph.

It has been a very dependable boat for me. I just hope it can stay that way.
Attached Thumbnails Where did all the Chris Cats go?-31chriscat.jpg  
Old 01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's a picture of a chriscat I came across a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Where did all the Chris Cats go?-criscat.jpg  

Quick Reply: Where did all the Chris Cats go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.