Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Effects of cold weather on boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69113-effects-cold-weather-boat.html)

georges 01-16-2004 09:07 AM

Effects of cold weather on boat?

Am wondering if extreme cold, such as in the northeast right now has any adverse effects on a boat's hull, drives, steering, etc?
I have purchased a boat that is up in Stratford CT right now, it's shrinkwrapped, but sitting outside, (the motor has been drained). Thanks.

Consintracy 01-16-2004 09:13 AM

Todd says, as long as it's been winterized and properly drained it will be fine.

mr_velocity 01-16-2004 09:28 AM

Only effect I've seen in the past 15 years is when I drop the lift the boat doesn't float, it just sits there on top of the ice:D :D :D

Don't worry, if it's properly winterized you won't have any problems.

Audiofn 01-16-2004 09:36 AM

If it was winterized properly you will be fine. Things to get brittle in extream cold like plexiglass and even fiber glass but you should be fine and when they get warm again they are the same.

Jon

Audiofn 01-16-2004 09:53 AM

If there is a little no problem. If there is a LOT then you will see the water freeze and blow the transom apart. The force of freezing water is quite awsome, cracks blocks after all.

Jon

Sydwayz 01-16-2004 09:59 AM

Someone else just mentioned they were showing a boat, and stepped on the vinyl, and cracked it; due to being brittle and cold. Stay off your vinyl and plexi until it warms up.

Monty 01-16-2004 10:45 AM

Sorry to jump in on another guys thread, but this brings up a question I have. My boat is stored in an unheated warehouse. The engines and trannies are out of the boat and the drives have been winterized. I only have a freshwater holding tank which is empty, no head or anything else.

Last weekend when I was working in the engine compartment, there was a puddle of water in the bilge. I had previously removed all of the water a couple months earlier when I painted the bilge and engine compartment with Awlgrip.

So where did this water in the bilge come from? Do you think the fluctuations in temperature over a month or so could cause enough condensation to build up inside the hull and pool in the bilge? I'd say there was about 1/2 gallon of water.

Roger 1 01-16-2004 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Monty
Sorry to jump in on another guys thread, but this brings up a question I have. My boat is stored in an unheated warehouse. The engines and trannies are out of the boat and the drives have been winterized. I only have a freshwater holding tank which is empty, no head or anything else.

Last weekend when I was working in the engine compartment, there was a puddle of water in the bilge. I had previously removed all of the water a couple months earlier when I painted the bilge and engine compartment with Awlgrip.

So where did this water in the bilge come from? Do you think the fluctuations in temperature over a month or so could cause enough condensation to build up inside the hull and pool in the bilge? I'd say there was about 1/2 gallon of water.

Is there a possibility that the roof above the boat could be leaking?

Monty 01-16-2004 10:51 AM

Obviously that was an initial thought, but I couldn't find any indication of it. There are no water marks or stains on the ceiling or anywhere else on the boat, just the small puddle of water in the bilge that wasn't present a month earlier.

I was thinking/wondering if over the span of the 35' hull, that maybe enough condensation could accumulate to form the puddle?

seanclong 01-16-2004 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Monty

Did you taste it to make sure it's just water??? ;) :p :D