Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Effects of cold weather on boat? >

Effects of cold weather on boat?

Notices

Effects of cold weather on boat?

Old 01-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effects of cold weather on boat?

Am wondering if extreme cold, such as in the northeast right now has any adverse effects on a boat's hull, drives, steering, etc?
I have purchased a boat that is up in Stratford CT right now, it's shrinkwrapped, but sitting outside, (the motor has been drained). Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

Todd says, as long as it's been winterized and properly drained it will be fine.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Registered

Only effect I've seen in the past 15 years is when I drop the lift the boat doesn't float, it just sits there on top of the ice

Don't worry, if it's properly winterized you won't have any problems.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was winterized properly you will be fine. Things to get brittle in extream cold like plexiglass and even fiber glass but you should be fine and when they get warm again they are the same.

Jon
Old 01-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If there is a little no problem. If there is a LOT then you will see the water freeze and blow the transom apart. The force of freezing water is quite awsome, cracks blocks after all.

Jon
Old 01-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Someone else just mentioned they were showing a boat, and stepped on the vinyl, and cracked it; due to being brittle and cold. Stay off your vinyl and plexi until it warms up.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Registered

Sorry to jump in on another guys thread, but this brings up a question I have. My boat is stored in an unheated warehouse. The engines and trannies are out of the boat and the drives have been winterized. I only have a freshwater holding tank which is empty, no head or anything else.

Last weekend when I was working in the engine compartment, there was a puddle of water in the bilge. I had previously removed all of the water a couple months earlier when I painted the bilge and engine compartment with Awlgrip.

So where did this water in the bilge come from? Do you think the fluctuations in temperature over a month or so could cause enough condensation to build up inside the hull and pool in the bilge? I'd say there was about 1/2 gallon of water.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Monty
Sorry to jump in on another guys thread, but this brings up a question I have. My boat is stored in an unheated warehouse. The engines and trannies are out of the boat and the drives have been winterized. I only have a freshwater holding tank which is empty, no head or anything else.

Last weekend when I was working in the engine compartment, there was a puddle of water in the bilge. I had previously removed all of the water a couple months earlier when I painted the bilge and engine compartment with Awlgrip.

So where did this water in the bilge come from? Do you think the fluctuations in temperature over a month or so could cause enough condensation to build up inside the hull and pool in the bilge? I'd say there was about 1/2 gallon of water.
Is there a possibility that the roof above the boat could be leaking?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Obviously that was an initial thought, but I couldn't find any indication of it. There are no water marks or stains on the ceiling or anywhere else on the boat, just the small puddle of water in the bilge that wasn't present a month earlier.

I was thinking/wondering if over the span of the 35' hull, that maybe enough condensation could accumulate to form the puddle?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Monty

Did you taste it to make sure it's just water???

Quick Reply: Effects of cold weather on boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.