Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sonic v. Donzi (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69266-sonic-v-donzi.html)

DaveP 01-21-2004 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Quiet Storm
Is that a picture of DaveP in post #40?

Shhhhhhhhhh...I still passed my drug test! :D :D

GO4BROKE 01-21-2004 08:16 PM

I think (at least lately) Sonic is much more a custom builder than Fountian,Formula, or Donzi. I would be happy to have any of the four. If the Donzi is cheaper then that would be the one to pick in the donzi vs sonic question. But I wouldn't expect them to stay cheaper for long. Check out PRA mag's review of the Baja 30 Outlaw p.34: $198,600 w/525's. Dano has an '03 Sonic 31SS with 575's, custom paint and interior, and every option (I think even AC) that retailed for $197K and change. Makes the Sonic price seem reasonable. Bigger power,10+mph faster (99 on gps after dialing in), more options, higher quality.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 01-21-2004 09:36 PM

Where is T2X when you need him???? He can always shed light on this also.

Looney Tune 01-22-2004 08:17 PM

I always thought that Donzi was a much higher priced boat than Sonic:confused:

Quiet Storm 01-22-2004 11:00 PM

This thread has got allot of mileage. Should we start one asking if the Donzi 38ZR is just a stretched Gladiator?

Or has it already been done?

I can't wait for summer. Then we can stop all this silly crap and start boating.

ROADHOG 01-23-2004 10:48 AM

Looney Tune,

Thanks for posting a picture of my 358 Sonic that used to be yours. Will take all the free advertising you have.

mikev 01-23-2004 11:10 AM

dont know about the Sonic but I beat the crap out of my 1988 Donzi and it is holding up great. sure do like the looks of the Sonic 31ss I have seen the one that is for sale on the board and it is one sharp looking boat.

Looney Tune 01-23-2004 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Drag 'N' Ass
Looney Tune,

Thanks for posting a picture of my 358 Sonic that used to be yours. Will take all the free advertising you have.

DNA-no problem, hope you are enjoying the boat. Bottom line both boats are great boats. You can spend loads of $$$$$$$ on any offshore boat some better than others. I really have enjoyed owning both of my Sonics.

BryanTuvell 01-23-2004 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is my opinion.
2nd Donzi and my customer service and ZCare has been unsurrpassed, (a couple drives, and a few other high $ issues) others have not had such luck, that I can not explain. We have received all and more that we have ask for over the last 4 years from Donzi, not always easy but they always took care of us.
The main guy at the Sonic factory sounded like a true professional too, as we spoke this summer while we shopped Sonic and Sunsation.

I also looked at the Sonics this past summer, more bang for the buck, for sure, we wanted bigger and more cuddy toys, air, heat, shore power, they have a nice enclosed head etc.,
BUT COULD NOT buy a test ride from Harry Judge at Performance Offshore in MD. (3 hours away from me), offered cash for gas and 'clean up the boat' labor money just to get a test ride! Guess my money smelt bad! (My bank letter said I could buy anything was in my hand!)
He said "come to the open house in Oct!" LOL Sure Pal!
****ty dealer in my eyes. I would not recommend them, and yes they sell Donzi and Cig.Harry lost a sale, we were ready to move up and loved the reviews Sonic got on all the boards.

We love our 26ZX, and it rates quality/ride against all single engine boats in my eyes, Donzi MSRP is overpriced, all are, (mine was $104K, I got it for mid $60's on a new trailer), it was 8 months old at purchase, take MSRP, bargin to 30 to 40% below and get a good deal. We are happy Donzi owners.
Lastly, the VAST majority of boat owners are not on this board, two sides to every story about Sonic or Donzi.
I would definately buy another Donzi, not an "everyone" has one boat, and on the other other hand neither is Sonic, a good thing as a boat owner.
Question is, who will replace Steve Simon? When we did have issues he was the MAN that could make things happen......

DAVE P, post #44 of this thread was quite interesting in my eyes. I am not sure PQ and SUNSATION are entry level, especially the bigger ones.

Bryan Tuvell

(3 years of warranty left! No longer available on their new boats though.)
Picture is the new boat for 04, now I live the best of both water worlds.... Bay or backyard!

Reckless32 01-24-2004 10:08 AM

I think I'll stay "entry level", AND stay happy. One has to keep an eye on the future and not linger in the past...:cool: