Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ebay rules for bidding on a car (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69335-ebay-rules-bidding-car.html)

SLINGSHOT 01-18-2004 04:24 PM

ebay rules for bidding on a car

it says you are entering a contract ......what if i inspect the car and it is not what i am happy with...how does that fall into legal rules..

they make it sound once you bid its yours!:mad:

Audiofn 01-18-2004 04:31 PM

I think that if you bid it is yours. Of course you could always back out but..... My brother has purchased a few cars off Ebay. Two of them showed up NOT as advertised at all. He just ate it. If I was bidding on a car of any value I would make sure that I got on a plane and checked it out and took pictures while I was there. Otherwise IMO it is not worth the risk. Another option perhaps is to get in writing from the seller a discription of the car and a agreement that if it is not as described that you can back out.

Jon

Jon

HyperBaja 01-18-2004 04:32 PM

Find a Supra?

SLINGSHOT 01-18-2004 04:35 PM

Originally posted by HyperBaja
Find a Supra?
:D

HyperBaja 01-18-2004 04:40 PM

Post a link!

I am going to out bid you, since my bank account is so big, and my wallet so heavy ;)

105mph_38_2003 01-18-2004 05:14 PM

I sold a few cars off of Ebay and it worked great for me:D

Another forum member here bought a Lamborghini Diablo off Ebay a couple years ago. I cant remember who exactly it was but he outbid me on a 2001 Purple 6.0:mad:

I posted a link right before the auction ended and he bid it up more than I was willing to pay. My price was way less that the reserve but it was'nt a very desirable color combo.

mcollinstn 01-18-2004 07:17 PM

We have sold several cars AS A RESULT OF LISTING THEM on Ebay, but only one sold during the actual auction. All the rest of them did not meet reserve, but bidders would call for more pix and a couple sent third party inspectors out to give a report on the cars. All the ones that sold as a result of being listed were contingent on inspection of the car. All of the cars we listed on Ebay were at least 8 on 10, with two of them perfect 10's.

I advise anybody "buying" a car on Ebay to personally inspect it before laying out the cash. If you bid and the reserve is met, then Ebay considers you a legal buyer. If the actual car does not match the description, then Ebay won't hassle you if you don't complete the purchase. Here's a tip - if the reserve price is less than what you feel the car should sell for, then it is misrepresented.

The only one of ours that sold during the auction was a BMW M-Coupe (perfect 10) that we apparently had priced below market. We got $3k more than we needed out of it, and the buyer (who flew in from Chicago to pick it up) got a whale of a deal, also.

"Normal" cars selling on Ebay - they must be crap or they wouldn't be on Ebay. Ebay is,however, a wonderful forum for matching buyers to "odd" or hard to find cars..

Liberator21 01-18-2004 07:26 PM

I live in NY, and I wouldn't buy a used car from a "Private" seller any more. Once was a time years ago, I'd buy a car from a private seller, because it was usually a person who was getting something new, and they just wanted to get rid of their old car. About five years ago my wife and I went looking for a used car. With every one we checked out there was some kind of "angle". Usually it was a guy buying insurance wrecks, doing some quick body work, and cheap paint!
And that was almost every one we saw. Every friend of mine ran across the same thing. Now, I'll only buy a used daily driver from a dealer. It costs a little more, but you're safer that way.

mcollinstn 01-18-2004 07:49 PM

On any vehicle worth more than a few thousand, I advise everybody to use a paintmeter on it to spot paintwork. A vehicle with NO paintwork may still be a flood car, but any wreck of significance will result in the inevitable paintwork.

If a car is being billed as "perfect" or never having been wrecked, and the paintmeter says he's lying, then you can shortcut the rest of the discussion.

Paintmeters are expensive, but we invite people to drop by the lot if they are on a test drive and we will spot check a car they are considering buying for them for free. Has earned more than one customer for us and has tagged more than one competing dealer as a liar.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-18-2004 07:58 PM

If it is legally binding, don't you still have 3 days to back out of the deal? Such as an attorney review with a mortgage? :confused: