Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Car rims used as trailer rims (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69466-car-rims-used-trailer-rims.html)

Hot Boat 01-19-2004 10:45 PM

Car rims used as trailer rims

Anyone ever use jeep rims for trailer rims. I found a nice set of jeep rims on ebay that have the same bolt pattern as my trailer. I just don't know if the offset and the hole in the center of the rim is large enough for a bearing buddy to fit through. Are there any other rims I can look at that will fit my 4.5" x 5 lug pattern.

Thanks
Paul

Cord 01-20-2004 08:39 AM

I believe the mid 80's Ford station wagons used the same pattern. The offset will push the wheel out further. I do have a couple of shallow cuts from the fender on mine. I actually have a set at home that I'd be more than willing to part with. They even come with tires! These are a vane style with maybe 40 vanes per wheel. They are metallic silver. One of the wheels is lightly scorched from when the car burned.

BADA BING 01-20-2004 06:36 PM

You are correct about the bolt circle being the same as a Jeep, I had a 5 lug dual axle trailrite and I had a set of 15x8 ANTERA wheels- bolt pattern 5x114.3, center bore was hub centric 66.1 (Nissan) and the offset was 0.
The wheels were even with the fender, and bearing buddies were able to sit under the enclosed center cap.

I still have the wheels (7pcs) with caps if you interested let me know, I also have extra caps (ANTERA Style 141)
for dual axle or triple axle with a spare.

Also, used 1/2" lug nuts.

;)

Sydwayz 01-20-2004 10:57 PM

I believe a Ford Ranger rim is 5 x 4.5 as well. Chevy S-10 is 5 x 4.75.

Land Cruiser 05-19-2004 10:44 PM

Re: Car rims used as trailer rims

I'd like to buy your extra set of center caps w/mounting brackets from you.

MitchStellin 05-19-2004 10:56 PM

I have six aluminium rims that are for a truck. They fit fine. I like the looks of them also, I have seen people match rims with the truck also, can you imagine buying 10 tires and rims? I bet it would be 5K. Hey Bada,are any of those 16.5 8 bolt? I need another spare, I feel safer with two.

mopower 05-20-2004 09:05 AM

I used a set of late 80's Ford turbine style wheels on my 5000 lb Load-Rite trailer ,centercap and all. Even added a set of cheapy three bar spinners to the center cap. This made them appear almost identical to mid 60's Vette knockoffs :rolleyes:. I even had people ask :D. Anyway , the two biggest things to worry about are load capacity and back spacing.

RollWithIt 05-20-2004 11:56 AM

Load capacity would definately be my main concern. I forget who it was on this board, but they had put aftermarket wheels on their Avalanche. Well, the rim itself decided to decintegrate on the highway while they were pulling a trailer. The rim, while pretty, was not load rated to handle the tow. I would make sure you know how much weight your going to tow, then find a rim that will handle the weight. Any wheel dealer or rep should be able to get you the info you need.

IDRPSTF 05-20-2004 12:17 PM

You guys may want to keep Bada Bings number handy for rims on all your other toys as well. All of us in CA call him for our Bling!

glassdave 05-20-2004 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Load capacity would definately be my main concern. I forget who it was on this board, but they had put aftermarket wheels on their Avalanche. Well, the rim itself decided to decintegrate on the highway while they were pulling a trailer. The rim, while pretty, was not load rated to handle the tow. I would make sure you know how much weight your going to tow, then find a rim that will handle the weight. Any wheel dealer or rep should be able to get you the info you need.

you are correct about being aware of the load ratings but in that case the rim sepration happened after they (friends of mine) hit the guard rail. it didnt break because of overlaoding. i have a set of brand new explorer sport wheels i have often thought of putting on my boat trailer but am not sure how to find out what the rating is for that particular wheel.