Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WEIGHT! is there really any substitute? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69522-weight-there-really-any-substitute.html)

Buddy OO 01-20-2004 05:26 PM

rough boating

i can tell you as an experienced boater for over 12 years at loto. you will not find rougher inconsistant water anywhere. i've been on everything from fountains, bajas, hustlers, nortech, just about every v bottom you can think of. the stepped hulls just dont work well at all. the regular v's handle the water the best. i had a 36 outlaw that rode as good as any, and recently upgraded to thew 40 outlaw. and i dont think theres a better ride without going to a cat out there. even the 50 nortech and 46 black thunder will not stay in the water down there. just put the tabs down and run 50 and hold on.

Havasu Cig 01-20-2004 05:48 PM

Here we go again with bashing stepped hulls. :rolleyes:

CigDaze 01-20-2004 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Whiteknuckle
Water is not suspended by springs, it is a fluid. Water is displaced when a boat re-enters, hence the splash!
Actually, when examining only the vertical degree of freedom of a boat traveling through water, it shares a remarkable resemblance to a mass-spring-damper system. ;)

ThirdBird 01-20-2004 06:26 PM

In my humble, unprofessional, mostly unqualified but not so inexperienced opinion,,,,,,, two boats, same hulls, one weighing substantially more,,,,,,,,,,,, the heavier one's gotta ride better.

Again, thats "felt" ride quality, not handling or performance.

Reed Jensen 01-20-2004 06:45 PM

"Tastes great"............. "Less filling"............ "Tastes great".................... "Less filling".................... :p

Whiteknuckle 01-20-2004 07:11 PM

BD,
Ok, that does, it! That explains it, I musta missed that day of physics class.

Dave M 01-20-2004 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

My boat is light and skinny and it rides pretty good compared to similar length boats.

If you don't believe me just ask her .... :D

GLH 01-20-2004 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or them.

Shah Mat 01-21-2004 08:06 AM

Hey DaveM,

Are those chains holding that bikini bottom on? I would imagine it would need something strong.:D

Here's my observation.....
After riding in a 23.5 Sea Ray which is a very heavy boat and riding in my buddies 23 Checkmate, the Sea Ray was more comfortable in rough stuff especially when re-entering the water after a "good one".
Also, the C-mate was small block powered and the Sea Ray was a big block, and the C-mate was about 5-8 mph faster..... In my opinion, weight was the major factor between the two. I would think that this comparison would apply to longer boats as well.

Now if I had to choose one for the day...... I'd choose the bright red Checkmate with thru hull exhaust that runs 65 over the Sea Ray any day of the week

audacity 01-21-2004 08:22 AM

Re: rough boating

Originally posted by wiggler4490
i can tell you as an experienced boater for over 12 years at loto. you will not find rougher inconsistant water anywhere. i've been on everything from fountains, bajas, hustlers, nortech, just about every v bottom you can think of. the stepped hulls just dont work well at all. the regular v's handle the water the best. i had a 36 outlaw that rode as good as any, and recently upgraded to thew 40 outlaw. and i dont think theres a better ride without going to a cat out there. even the 50 nortech and 46 black thunder will not stay in the water down there. just put the tabs down and run 50 and hold on.
WOW!!!I DAMN NEAR ALMOST CAN'T RESIST!!! A 40 OUTLAW vs A 50 NOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: