Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WEIGHT! is there really any substitute? >

WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

Notices

WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Steve_H

Default WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

i see all these claims " yes , its great in the rough water" but i have a hard time believing alot of them.

if it only weighs around 5000 lbs. how good can the ride be in big water? im talking about vee's here , not cats.

does anyone make a light boat that can handle big water comfortably?

ok , im bored and wanted to try and start a good topic.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, a resin bucket calling out light weights. Now you ARE starting something WWIII. I had a heavy Donzi that rode like a John Boat because it was too wide. Weight is a must for big water, but you need to be able to slice the water also. I think weight is a good thing as long as you have the power to push it. Plus weight usually means strenght unless you have a bunch of whales on board
Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is the beginning of an interesting topic. What is the best ratio between fiberglass and resin? and what percent of the glass of a good boat is woven vs sprayed?

Roby
Old 01-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Steve_H

Originally posted by MitchStellin
Oh, a resin bucket calling out light weights. Now you ARE starting something WWIII. I had a heavy Donzi that rode like a John Boat because it was too wide. Weight is a must for big water, but you need to be able to slice the water also. I think weight is a good thing as long as you have the power to push it. Plus weight usually means strenght unless you have a bunch of whales on board
not trying to start ww111 although wars ARE fun to watch
its a legit question. one that i havent really seen addressed here before specifically. doesnt have to be any certain length or weight. its a design delema that i wonder about is all.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my boat is awsome in the rough stuff and is only 4500 lbs
Old 01-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I was talking about it on another thread...
The Superboat 30' Y2K weighs in well under 5000 lb.(about 4500-4800lb). This boat is always in the front of the F1 pack under rough water conditions. 30'... 7' beam... hard to beat in a vee of this size in rough water.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Of course there's also the BAT BOATS!

Last edited by SS930; 01-20-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of trade offs but the old addage goes as follows.

"There's No Replacement For Displacement"

Yes you can lighten them up some but too much then you start flying around pretty good.

Sean
Old 01-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

As a general rule, the longer and narrower you can make a boat, the smoother and faster it will be.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to lots of composite sites... they all claim that idea ratio of resin to cloth is 52 percent resin to 48 percent cloth... by weight.... hence all the hooplah around vacuum infusion and vacuum bagging... but I think ride on rough water is more influenced by hull shape and how deep the vee is... a flatter hull will be faster and plane better... a deep vee all the way to the transom will land softer when coming off the waves.. at least that is my opinion.... any one have a differing opinion? let's hear it! Also balance and center of gravity affect the ride quality too... a light bow with a heavy transom will experience more pitch... ( twin engines... no cabin) than a staggered arrangement and a cabin.

Quick Reply: WEIGHT! is there really any substitute?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.