Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reggie Fountain?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69525-reggie-fountain.html)

DoTheMath 01-21-2004 09:03 AM

Originally posted by outer42
leave reggie alone, he trying to catch the kilo record back!!!!!!! that's more important than keeping your customers happy!!! :D :D :D
That's his problem and that is why Mercury is moving in, and fast. He sells boats based on the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" theory, problem is his "Monday" boats are not built the same as his "Sunday" boats are. It kills me to see him go to Skater to build his race / record hulls, or take MTI's good designs and work and slap his name on them without so much as a mention of Randy in the ads. Then he goes out and sells junk, I have had friends that have owned 42's and 47's of his and the bottoms have peeled off them! He is a PRODUCTION builder, plain and simple, just like any other high-volume builder out there. I went to Formula and had them try and build me a boat with 1/2 doz. "custom" requests... it took 12 months and it just didn't come out right, not even close. However, if you don't ask them to think outside the box, they are rock-solid!! I would buy another Formula in a second, my wife loves them and it's entirely possible we may end up back there, (sooner than later). A 353 w/ 525's is the best value / balance of speed, comfort, looks, performance and price on the market right now in that category, (in my opinion). Again, that is just my opinion.... just like the rest of this post.

I know all you Fountain owners will be all up and down my $hit for this, but it is what it is, think about it. When will the day come that he builds a boat that will CONSISTENTLY stay together, run right and make his customers happy? Kilos records are one thing, but your customers are another, they can (and will) make you or break you. I think he has forgotten what got him to where he is today, his customers. He used to be on the top of his game, I think he has lost sight of all that and his ego is too big for his black turtlenecks...

Just my .02:)

Reed Jensen 01-21-2004 11:08 AM

Reggie Fountain..... Enzo Ferrari.... both won on Sunday... sold on Monday.... Both made crude products. Enzo sold the manufacturing side of the car business so that he could race. Fiat is not known for making the best cars.... but with Fiat at the helm.... Ferrari prospered and the cars were built with a certain amount of consistancy.When Ferrari himself owned the company, the cars were "hand built". Despite the beautiful coachwork, the mechanicals looked like something that was cobbled together in Luigi's back yard. Maybe the same will happen with Fountain Powerboats.

Tricky919 01-21-2004 11:29 AM

Geez, i just bought a new Fountian. I guess i shouldn't run it on Sundays, so I won't have those problems on Mondays !!!!!!!!!!!!!

epeek 01-21-2004 08:54 PM

Wow,some tremendous Fountain bashing going on
here. I think these things go on with all builders.
But look at the precentages.Fountain sells alot
more boats than alot of other manufacturers,so
there will be more complaits. Heres my point.
A friend of mine bought a brand new Formula
27 back in 1987,after 1/12 seasons ( about 6
months of boating) the swim platform (silent
thunder) fell right off the boat! cost him 4k to
replace it. Then the port engine kept blowing
couplers. 5 couplers later,he was told that no
matter how they tried they couldn't get the
engine alignment right. He traded that year for
a new Sea Ray that within 2 years the bottom
blistered all over the place. I bought a new 28
checkmate in 1990,twin 454s. It came in with a
huge bubble in the deck. The bulkhead & the
cabin door all fell apart 1 month later. Sent it
back to checkmate. They sanded out the bubble
which immediatly faded out and looked like
$hit,and did a half assed job on the cabin door
and bulkhead. Bought a new scarab that proceded
to blister all over the bottom & everything fell apart.
So far(cross my fingers) My Fountains quality has
been pretty good. Boat runs solid, but it certainly
isn't a 500k -750ki custom!

GLH 01-21-2004 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by epeek
Boat runs solid, but it certainly
isn't a 500k -750ki custom!

Looks good to even with you on it! :D:D

epeek 01-21-2004 09:09 PM

Originally posted by GLH
Looks good to even with you on it! :D:D
Thanks Pal. Shes not bad,for an Edsel. :D

later 01-21-2004 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoTheMath
[B] When will the day come that he builds a boat that will CONSISTENTLY stay together, run right and make his customers happy?

i dont know if he only did it twice in his career of boat building, or i must of gotten struck by lightning, but March of 1998 and Februrary of 1990. Sold the 90 in 1998 and i still have the 98 with no problems at all except for an occasionally water pump or ignition module going out. i have had many ( MANY ) trouble free and enjoyable years and hours.

later

the 98

later 01-21-2004 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the 1990

later 01-21-2004 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

later 01-21-2004 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another