Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Marathon Key vs others (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/69530-marathon-key-vs-others.html)

thedonz 01-20-2004 10:48 PM

definitely Key Largo/Islamorada....

add to the list Hogs Heaven for drinks/music, ocean side,

Pennekamp Park for snorkeling (where Christ statute is located),

Harry Harris State Park, mm 92, nice beach, ramp, platgrounds

Whale Harbour Restaurant, across bridge from Holiday Isle for fantastic all you can eat buffet

Great little motel, Bayside Motel, mm 92, bay side (duh), run by young couple (Mike and Carol) reasonable, separate cabanas, yard, B-B-Q, beach and docks,

also, many shops, shopping centers, etc

Have Fun!

Wardey 01-21-2004 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got to diagree with The Donz. Key Largo is not "The Key's"......you have to go at least down to Islamarada to experiance the real deal. In the past few years the Lobstering has been better in Marathon than in Islamarada. I've been going down there for about 20 years now and usually do 3 trips a year down there. Dave Warden

Rice Hauler 01-21-2004 10:25 AM

The Key to the Keys

I've had the chance to sample of bounty of the Keys with Tonto, Parnell and Wicked, and let me tell you it's a blast no matter. They're all great company and really "know" they're way around.
But you should invest in a guide (Carl Hanson comes to mind) or go with a group unless your really great at navigation and can really "see" the depth of the water.
My all time favorite place to Stay is Hawks Cay on Duck Key but that's just because I can keep the boat right out back. All the places that Wicked and Tonto named are easy to get to once you know the ins and outs and really the biggest thing to remember is that the tide is often a player and you don't get that with any type of lake boating. Marathon's great but the bottom line is that your gonna dock somwhere and probably walk or taxi to your hotel. I prefer Islamorada, and the Tiki Bar or the Marriott, or Westin on Key Largo because you can dock right there and sleep and then taxi or shuttle to dinner. the thing is how much do you really wanna boat.
Me, well I never want to get into a car once I get the boat wet so that's why the preference to places that I can dock and stay.
No Matter what it's a great way to kill some time and work on the old tan.
Best
Rice Hauler

WickedWon 01-21-2004 11:18 AM

Rice Hauler ? ! ? !

Dude you're alive :eek: You even have a boat anymore?

Good call on Carl, he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about the Keys ;) Speaking of which, I'm OUTA HERE ! I'll try and post some pic's next week of my tour just to annoy everyone :D :cool:

See Ya